St. John’s Prep upends Hingham, 3-1

Kevin Doyle
Kevin Doyle
Kevin joined HNIB in 1990 and is a Senior Writer and Director of the Northern New England and Mass/R.I. High School Division camps. A veteran editor/writer of 40 years in the print and digital mediums, he has edited and produced original content and coordinated production for local and global publications and websites. He holds degrees from Merrimack College and Boston University and won multiple industry awards as Sports Editor of The Daily News of Newburyport and News Editor of The Amesbury News. He is the 2016 recipient of the North Shore Lifetime Commitment From the Community award presented by Moynihan Lumber and a 2017 Newburyport High School Wall of Fame inductee. He resides with his family in Portsmouth, NH. Email him at [email protected] and follow him on Twitter @kdoyle40

Related posts

Nick Latham St. John's Prep
Nick Latham
St. John’s Prep
Teddy McNamara St. John's Prep
Teddy McNamara
St. John’s Prep

St. John’s Prep popped in a pair of first-period goals 16 seconds apart and turned back Hingham Saturday afternoon at Ristuccia Arena, 3-1, in a meeting of Division One “power” programs seeking to rebound from sub-.500 seasons a year ago.

It was the season opener for the Eagles while Hingham leveled at 1-1-0 after knocking off Norwood in its opener.

“Overall, I thought we played well. There are mistakes we have to fix and we have to be better at finishing our opportunities. We’re far from where we need to be but we played four lines all game and didn’t change from that. We had a lot of balance,” said St. John’s coach Kris Hanson.

Hingham coach Tony Messina viewed the game as a measuring stick for the Harbormen.

“We’re an inexperienced team and I felt this game would tell a lot about us. It was their (St. John’s) opener; we expected they would storm us and they did. But, I thought we weathered that and played pretty well the rest of the way,” Messina said.

Senior captain Nick Latham staked St. John’s a 1-0 lead at 10:52 of the first period, settling Tyler Scearbo’s deft dish before sniping a shot from the right circle past Hingham junior keeper Andrew Ehler (21 saves).

Sixteen seconds later, junior transfer Billy Falter of Wilmington doubled the lead. Stationed low on the left side, he cashed in good combo work by Kyle Hentosh and Kyle Lynch, steering the puck into the open left side with 3:51 left in the period.

It stayed that way until the teams matched power play goals late in the second period. Ted McNamara extended the Eagles’ lead to 3-0 with 4:20 left in the period. Hingham’s Matt Egan countered with a re-direct past SJP goalie Zach Laramie (nine saves) two seconds before intermission.

Prep clamped down on defense throughout, limiting the Harbormen to 10 total shots. Hanson cited the work of juniors Brian Groom and Seth Murray and freshmen Tim Usalis and Paul Edson in the back.

St.John’s returns to action Tuesday night against Woburn (Ristuccia, 8) while Hingham faces off against Weymouth on Christmas Eve Day (noon, Pilgrim).



- Sponsor -


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

- Sponsor -
- Sponsor -
- Sponsor -