Let’s jump right into it, with the season winding down and playoff races heating up what stood out in RI high school hockey last week?
– The top dog LaSalle (19-1-1) continued to stay hot, beating East Greenwich in a huge matchup, then skated to a 1-1 tie against Xavier (CT) the next night. In the game against an East Greenwich team that’s also been playing well, Cam Tasca, Thomas Sheehan, Connor Barrett, Ronan Peterson and Mike Brouillard scored for the Rams. LaSalle also got 20 saves from Max Cute. East Greenwich got goals from Colin Walsh and Cam Gaffney.
The 1-1 tie for the Rams saw Bradley score the team’s lone goal. With a big week ahead, the Rams enter with an unblemished league record of 14-0.
Bishop Hendricken (10-3-1) was part of the Pope Francis invitational this past weekend and got a 5-3 win over NWC in the consolation game. Other quick highlights included Smithfield beating Prout 3-0 and Moses Brown and Cumberland skating to a 2-2 tie that same night.
– North Kingstown (13-1-2) has dominated Division 2 this season and continued to roll this past week. First, a 4-0 victory over Cranston and then a 7-1 victory over Rogers/Middletown/Rocky Hill later in the week.
In the win over Cranston, Jake Rodger, Damian Maltezo, Evan Engelhardt and Zach Matthis all scored with Braeden Perry earning the 17-save shutout. The scoring spree continued early against RMR with Max Proulx (and Rodger scoring two in the first. Ronan Gately, Owen Tegan (his first), Rodger, Proulx again and Will Brew added to the win. RMR’s James Cawley made 24 saves in the loss.
– RMR (8-6-2) played Cranston the next night and skated to a 1-1 tie. The lone goals of the game came in the second period with Cranston’s Jay Medina (his first) putting his squad up 1-0 before Luc Guerin tied it for RMR. Cranston goalie Brayden Nebus made 37 saves while RMR’s Max Bruan had 28 saves.
– Lincoln (8-7-0) earned two very important overtime victories with a 3-2 win over Portsmouth in what was a huge matchup on the 12th. How did they follow that up? With a 2-1 OT victory over North Smithfield on Sunday.
Nathan Turcotte had the game tying and then the GWG in the win over Portsmouth to complete a hat trick. Portsmouth got goals from Dan Biello and Aiden Toner. Devin Cormier scored both goals in the 2-1 win over NS, including the OT winner at the 2:43 mark. North Smithfield’s Nathan Goff put up 32 saves despite the loss.
Portsmouth bounced back and beat Cranston 3-2 in OT after its tough loss to Lincoln. Toner had the GWG while Steve Dutra made 18 saves.
– The tight race in Division 3 saw plenty of action this weekend. Ponaganset (8-4-1) ripped Coventry 6-1 on the 12th for a huge league win. Brennan Printer (2), Will Cavanagh, Liam Dixon, Alex Wildgoose and Tom Mallettie all scored. Coventry got its goal from Mike LaRoche while Angelo Ciampanelli (21 saves) and Will Whelan (13 saves) split time in net.
– Narragansett (8-4-1) blanked Johnston/North Providence/Tiverton 4-0 to keep pace in the league standings. Jacob Correira (2), Ben Avedisian and JD Abbott got the goals with the defense smothering JNPT to the tune of just four shots, making it an easy shut out for Ryan Moricas.
– In another important matchup with the standings so bunched up, West Warwick (7-7-0) beat South Kingstown (8-4-1) 3-0. Dylan Waterman, Kegan Gormley and Rehuben Smith had the goals and Kevin MacDonald earned the shutout with an impressive 52-save effort.