Rhode Island HS Hockey – Division 1 Final Series: Hendricken Sweeps To Crown

Kevin Stone
Kevin Stone
Kevin Stone, a Waltham High Class of 06 graduate, played lacrosse and golf before going into journalism at New England College in Henniker, NH. Kevin went to Framingham State and Middlesex Community College after that. He started doing freelance work in August of 2008, working for The Palo Alto Daily (Palo Alto, CA) and The Waltham Daily News Tribune, and worked for Patch.com until getting jobs with The Norwood Record and Metro West Daily News in 2012. Stone's been writing for the Metro West ever since and has since added The Boston Globe, HNIB, MassVarsity, The New England Football Journal and BostonLax to his already extensive resume.

Related posts

This past weekend, Bishop Hendricken completed its remarkable season with a sweep of East Greenwich to capture the RIIL Division 1 title (with some drama) and wrap up a fantastic season of RIHS hockey.

Hendricken took Game 1 in thrilling fashion, winning 4-3 in a shootout and then wrapped up the title with a 5-2 win in Game 2. After being named a “co-champion” last season, it was a welcome return to the solo championship celebration for the Hawks.

Joe Andreozzi opened up the scoring in Game 1 for East Greenwich. Dylan Capelli tied the game for Hendricken, but with 7:53 left in the second EG went back on top on a goal from Cam Gaffney. The Avengers went up 3-1 heading to the third on a late goal from Colin Walsh.

A PPG from Ryan Staples with under 10 minutes to play in the third cut it to 3-2 and Aiden Pennachini put home a rebound with 4:49 remaining. Hendricken and EG ended up grinding through two overtimes before eventually going to a shootout.

Andrew Carr (24 saves) was big and Ryan Staples, Matt Moretti and Griff Crain all potted goals in the shootout.

Following Game 1, some tragic news struck the Rhode Island hockey community as West Warwick’s Matt Dennison passed away following injuries suffered in an automobile accident a month earlier. A moment of silence was held before Game 2 and there was a tremendous outpouring of support for the West Warwick community and Dennison’s family.

Once the game got going the first period ended in a 0-0 stalemate. Walsh put EG up 1-0 in the second but Hendricken had a response from Alex Giuliano to make it 1-1 after two.

The Hawks took advantage of a 5-on-3 situation, with Drew Gayman making it 2-1 and just a few moments later Moretti made it a 3-1 game with 7:00 to play. Gaffney made things interesting, cutting it to 3-2 with 3:31 to go, but Cavanagh and Whitfield added two late goals to deliver the title to Hendricken.

“I just want to say, this one was for Matt,” head coach Mike Soscia said after the game. “I know he’s looking down, watching this game. That one was for him.”

- Sponsor -


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

- Sponsor -
- Sponsor -
- Sponsor -