A look at some highlights from the first week of high school hockey action in the state of New Hampshire…
* Ten months after they would have met in the 2020 State Title game had it not been cancelled by the COVID outbreak, the division’s top two teams finally squared off. Aided by a Concord own goal in the game’s first minute when an errant clearing attempt caromed into the Crimson Tide cage, new No. 1 Bedford (3-0-0) prevailed, 2-1. Owen Roberto, credited with that goal, then made it 2-0 less than three minutes into the game. Tyler Coskren connected for now No. 2 Concord (4-1-0) late in the first period and that was the extent of the scoring. Quinlan Kerr had a couple of assists for the Bulldogs while goalies Shea Gaumont of Bedford and Kevin Jones of Concord were unbeatable the rest of the way.
* Nick Beane’s OT game-winner with extra time winding down lifted No. 5 Exeter (2-0-0) past No. 9 Trinity (0-3-0) Saturday. Ty Robinson had a couple of goals for the Blue Hawks while Roger Davis tied it, 3-3, with his first career goal with less than five minutes to play. Henry Fraser earned the win with 34 saves. Anthony Dizillo had two goals for the Pioneers, Josh Salzman had one and Colton Gooden stopped 30 shots.
*No. 3 Bishop Guertin (3-0-0) routed Londonderry, 10-2, Saturday for its second win against the Lancers in a week. Derek Amaral (hat trick, assist), Mike Kiely (2 goals, 4 assists) and Sean Kelley (2 goals, assist) did the damage. John Manione, Dan Woodford and Brian Jenkins also scored for the Cardinals. Zach Rheault and Drew Nutter scored for Londonderry.
* Concord rolled past No. 7 Hanover (0-2-0) Saturday, 8-2, powered by Ryan Philbrick’s natural hat trick in the first period. Noah Drew, Joey Ala, AJ Fennelly, AJ Dow and Cam McGonigle added a goal apiece. Jackson Fisher and Casey Graham scored for the Marauders. Concord defeated the Marauders earlier in the week, 4-0, with Will Pegnam posting the shutout.
* Quinlan Kerr scored twice while Logan DeBonville, Brady Burke, Brendon Thornton and Owen Roberto scored a goal apiece in Bedford’s 6-0 whitewash of No. 10 Windham (0-3-0) Saturday, completing a sweep of the season series. Bedford prevailed earlier in the week in OT, 2-1.
* No. 4 Salem (2-0-0) edged No. 8 Pinkerton (0-1-0) last Wednesday, 4-2. Ryan Pappalardo scored twice for the Blue Devils while Ryan Allard and Declan Burke had one each. Jake Masterson and Ethan Burgess scored for the Astros, whose season has since been curtailed at least until Feb. 10 due to COVID.
* D2 Manchester Memorial swept past D1 Manchester Central/West, 6-0, behind Kenny McIntire (hat trick), Parker Burgess (2 goals, assist) and Brendan Burroughs (goal, assist). Landon Wilson had the 14-save shutout while CW’s David Hood turned back 33 shots.
* Goffstown took D1 Bishop Brady to the limit Wednesday in a 3-2 OT loss. Grady Chretien had both goals for the Grizzlies and James Amorelli had 37 saves. Dom Dubreuil tallied twice for Brady, including the game-winner in the first minute of OT. Owen Currier stopped 41 shots.