New Hampshire HS Hockey – Division 3 Semifinals: Rivals Berlin-Gorham, Belmont-Gilford Win, Move On To Saturday’s Championship

HNIB Staff
HNIB Staff
In 1972, two lifetime high school hockey fans started a weekly broadcast of Greater Boston high school games on WBOS-FM (92.9). The duo - Lance LoFaro and Darby Yaeger - called the nightly broadcasts "Hockey Night in Boston". As of late, HNIBnews - over 40 years running - has kept the scholastic hockey world on its feet with its widely-read website In addition to HNIBnews, Hockey Night in Boston runs, and also hosts summer tournaments showcasing the talents of scholastic hockey.

Related posts

Belmont-Gilford 2, Hollis-Brookline/Derryfield 1

Stellar goaltending from sophomore Colin Logan and a timely goal from Dylan Flannery helped third-seeded Belmont-Gilford take down second seeded Hollis Brookline-Derryfield Warriors, 2-1 in a Division 3 semifinal matchup. In a game where goals were at a premium, Logan turned away all but one shot on his way to 34 saves on the night to give his squad a chance. The Bulldogs would answer the bell and punch their ticket to the finals.

The game was scoreless until the 10:35 mark of the first when the Bulldogs Aiden McKenzie was able to tip Evan Guerin’s shot that found its way past HBDS tender, Cavin Quinn and give them the 1-0 lead. Only two minutes later however, The Warriors would even the score when Jacob Roy intercepted a pass at his own defensive blue line and went in on a breakaway to score.

Both teams would be held scoreless throughout the second period.  HBDS controlled much of the play often peppering Logan with shots that he successfully turned away. It appeared as though momentum was on the side of the Warriors.

Early in the third period Belmont-Gilford would pull ahead for good. At the 1:39 mark of the third period, Flannery tucked home the rebound of an Owen Guertin shot and now it would be up to Logan to hold the lead. He was up to the challenge and stopped everything that came his way to seal the victory.

Belmont-Gilford will take on top seed Berlin-Gorham in the finals (5:30pm, Sunday, Plymouth State). Belmont-Gilford last appeared in the finals in 2016 when they lost to Berlin-Gorham. In 2015 the Warriors defeated the Mountaineers in the title game. This season Berlin-Gorham won both matchups between the teams by scores of 2-1 and 4-1.

Berlin-Gorham 4, Lebanon-Stevens/Mt. Royal 1

Top Seeded Berlin-Gorham rolled to a 4-1 win over fourth-seeded Lebanon-Stevens/Mount Royal. LSMR had the unenviable task of facing the Berlin-Gorham juggernaut that has gone an astonishing 45-4-3 over the past three years. The last Division 3 team to beat Berlin-Gorham? Yes, that’s right, Lebanon-Stevens-Mount Royal during last season’s Covid-shortened season. Unfortunately for the Raiders, there would be no magic again this year.

Ben Estrella

B-G started the scoring in the first period when Michael Cote scored from the right side on the power play. The score would hold until the Raider’s Paddy Mooney would even the score and ignite the crowd despite being heavily outshot 27-5 at that point of the game. Two minutes later the Mountaineers would respond with their second goal. Evan Poulin’s shot from the right side of the net put B-G up 2-1 at the end of the second and would ultimately prove to be the game winner.

Kolin Melanson Berlin-Gorham

LSMR entered the third period only trailing by one but were being dominated in the shot count by a tally of 39-8. Jameson Walsh would extend the Mountaineers lead only one minute into the third period when he fired home a rebound. Ben Estrella finished the scoring a couple minutes later when he was able to get a backhander by the besieged Raider’s goalie, Toby Cromwell. Cromwell stopped 48 of 52 saves in the loss while Kolin Melanson faced twelve shots in the win.

** Story by Brett Ricci

- Sponsor -


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

- Sponsor -
- Sponsor -
- Sponsor -