* Concord’s veteran coach Duncan Walsh began the season needing two wins to reach 500 for his career. Mission accomplished. Walsh achieved the memorable milestone on Monday as the Crimson Tide shut out Hanover, 4-0, after opening the season with a 6-0 whitewash of in-town rival Bishop Brady last Saturday.
Walsh’s record now stands at 500-182-20 in 31 years at the helm of the Crimson Tide to go along with seven State titles. Brooks Craigue scored twice, Noah Drew and A.J. Dow added a goal apiece, and Will Pegnam picked up the shutout. Hanover goalie Luke Ives amassed 32 saves.
* Bishop Guertin is off to a strong start. The Cardinals followed up Saturday’s 6-2 win against Trinity with a 4-2 decision of Londonderry on the holiday. Sean Kelley, Logan Vogel, Quinn Cepiel (GW) and Mike Kiely (PP) scored goals and Derek Amaral had two assists. Goalie John Casey had 13 saves in the Cardinals’ cage.
* Sophomore Britton Dunbar turned back 29 shots and freshman Gage Spagna had two goals and an assist in St. Thomas Aquinas’s 5-0 win against Winnacunnet on the holiday. Nate Coffey, Weston Trahan and Finn Connor also scored. Senior Jack Ellis had 26 saves for the Warriors.
* Oyster River senior Alden Swiesz notched a hat trick and junior Claden Daubney had 17 saves in the Bobcats’ 6-1 season-opening win against Winnacunnet. Jake Giacalone scored and Jack Ellis had 45 saves for the Warriors
* Kennett opened a 3-0 led through two periods then withstood a furious closing surge to hold off Kearsarge/Plymouth, 5-3. Wade Volo (2 assists) struck for a a hat trick while Colby Hall and Matt Cormier each scored a goal for the Eagles. Cody Bannon, Brennan Johnson and Brock Tanner connected for KP in the third period.