* Kevin Richardi made a splashy 36-save varsity debut as No. 3 Xaverian of the Catholic Conference tripped up New Jersey power Don Bosco Prep, 4-2, in its season opener at Bentley Arena in Waltham. Gavin Moynihan and Nolan Dion (GWG) scored 20 seconds apart early in the second period, breaking a 1-1 tie.
The visiting Ironmen cut the deficit to 3-2 after two periods, but couldn’t crack Richardi again. Will Irving provided the insurance goal for Xaverian with 4:16 to play. Braden O’Hara had the other goal for the Hawks.
* At Rodman Arena, the No. 6 Braintree dug itself out of an early 2-0 hole and doubled up Walpole, 6-3, for a solid Bay State Conference Herget Division road win. Larry Graziano scored twice for the Wamps.
* Framingham opened the season with an impressive win, edging Pope Francis, 3-2, in overtime at Loring Arena. Caleb Patrick was the hero for the Flyers with his second goal of the night in the extra time. P.J. Farese also had a goal in the win.
* At the Essex Sports Center, No. 8 St. John’s Prep of the Catholic Conference announced itself in a major way, using a five-goal second-period explosion to rout pre-season No. 1 Independent Hingham, 8-2. Tommy Sarni notched a hat trick and Will Van Sicklin scored two goals fo the Eagles.
* At Veteran’s Memorial Rink, Kevin Dann and Justin Cormier scored a goal apiece as No. 10 Waltham prevailed in MVC/Dual County League One action.
* At Hobomock Ice Arena, No. 11 Marshfield erupted for eight unanswered goals in the final two periods to down Silver Lake 9-1 in Patriot League play. Sophomore Cam McGettrick led a balanced effort with two goals for the Rams (2-0).
* At Burlington Ice Palace No. 13 Reading handled Burlington in Middlesex League Liberty Division action, 5-1. Junior Robbie Granara‘s hat trick powered the Rockets (2-0).
* Andover rolled past Shrewsbury, 6-1, in MVC/Dual County 1 play as Joe Bucci had a pair of goals. Tyler Walles, Nate Byers, Brendan Murnane and Ryan Magner each had a goal as well.
* At Graf Rink, the Cape Ann League’s D2 No. 2 Clippers honored former star defenseman on the 1997 Division 2 State finalist and assistant coach Jeff Stone, who passed away unexpectedly earlier is year by picking up a well-earned point in a rare double shutout against the Catholic Central Large’s No. 14 Spartans (2-0-1).
* No. 16 Arhbishop Williams took in a 4-1 Catholic Central Large win against Bishop Feehan. Jackson Sylvester scored twice and Matt Deminico had a goal and assist for the Bishops.
* At William Chase Arena No. 18 Natick of the Bay State Carey Division shut out Milton. Tim Cushing notched the shutout in his varsity debut. James Carr, Eric Santosaso, Austin Leombruno and Nick Haswell scored for the Redhawks (1-0),
* At Babson Skating Arena Ryan Guadiano scored his first varsity goal and Grady Salfity pitched the shutout as Weymouth shut down Needham, 2-0.