* No. 8 Pope Francis (6-3-2) eased on past St. John’s of Shrewsbury, 4-1, in a meeting of Independent programs. Freshman forward Ryan Leonard scored twice for the Cardinals, including a shorthanded strike. Freshman forward Ryan Shaw and senior defenseman Logan Dapprich (ENG) also scored. Freshman defenseman Will Brophy scored for the Pioneers (5-5-3).
* In the Catholic Conference, surging Malden Catholic (3-4-2) upended No. 6 BC High (7-3-2) in OT on sophomore forward Matt Babineau’s second goal of the game. It goes into the books as a tie for MIAA Tournament qualification purposes. Brendan Curtis and David Bazile also had goals Senior forward Matt Keohane scored twice for the Eagles as did junior forwards Declan Joyce (assist) and Brian Bulger.
* Same deal for No. 7 Catholic Memorial (6-3-5) and No. 9 St. John’s Prep (5-3-4) in the Catholic Conference. The Eagles prevailed in OT, 2-1, on senior forward Ned Malolepszy’s goal but it’s an MIAA tie, 1-1. SJP senior forward Pat Moran and CM senior defenseman Kevin McCarthy (PPG) matched regulation goals.
* In non-league action, No. 5 Xaverian of the Catholic Conference (8-2-3) turned back upset-minded Chelmsford of the MVC/DCL One, 3-1. Senior captain Matt Ryan had a pair of goals, including an empty-netter. Sophomore forward Max Lockwood added the third.
* In the Catholic Central Large, No. 11 Austin Prep (7-4-2) pinned a 5-0 shutout on Arlington Catholic behind the play of senior goalie Andrew McDonald. The Cougars got goals from forwards Joe Thibodeau, Ty Wood, Brady McGrath and Nolan Ricci and defenseman Aiden Elkins.
* Unranked Winchester (3-6-2) of the Middlesex League’s Liberty Division upset No. 2 St. Mary’s (8-2-2) of the Catholic Central Large, 3-0. Senior defenseman Michael Marignetti and junior forwards Joey Falso and Colin Van Stry had the goals in support of junior goalie Robert DiVincenzo.
* No. 3 Framingham (9-3-2) shut down Newton North, 5-0, in Bay State Conference Carey Division play. The Flyers goals came from Joe Ferrante, Will Trischitta, Robbie Lopes, Ryan Shimelman and John Halpin.
* Also in the Bay State Carey, No. 18 Natick (7-2-3) turned back an upset bid by Brookline, 3-2. Sophomore Sean McWhinnie scored twice and senior David Mega delivered the game-winner for the Redhawks, who opened a 3-0 lead and hung on.
* No. 12 Duxbury (6-2-3) dropped Silver Lake, 3-0, in the Patriot League’s Keenan Division behind senior goalie Steve Pisani’s 19-save shutout. Senior Christian Willett and juniors Will Nolan and Billy Mrowka scored for the Green Dragons.
* Senior Matt Hemmert and sophomore Tim McLaughlin scored two goals each as No. 15 Braintree (7-3-1) belted Milton, 9-0, in the Bay State Conference’s Herget Division.
* Stone Devlin’s hat trick powered Falmouth (7-5-1) past Nauset, 7-1, in the Cape & Island’s Atlantic Division.
* Red-hot Shrewsbury clinched a post-season berth with a 3-1 win over Norwell. Sam O’Connor, Owen Cardosi and Eli Cardosi each had a goal for the Colonials.
* Lexington’s Donald McCarthy made 42 saves and Davis Richard had a goal as the Minutemen tied up Reading 1-1 at Burbank Arena.
Melrose 4, No. 19 Bishop Fenwick 2
No. 17 Waltham 1, North Andover 1
Marshfield 1, No. 20 Barnstable 0
LaSalle Academy (RI) 4, Archbishop Williams 2
Franklin 5, Mansfield 5
Walpole 3, Needham 3