A quick look at some of the top highlights of the young season in Massachusetts Division 1 Boys Hockey…
* In the Middlesex League’s Liberty Division, No. 8 Woburn announced itself in a big way by sweeping a two-game season-opening set from No. 9 Arlington, the defending 1A co-champion,which began the season with a 21-game unbeaten streak. The Spy Ponders got the jump in the first game on goals by Drew Fecteau and Jack Sadowski. However, the Tanners responded with two apiece by Jonathan Surrette and Aiden Robinson for the 4-2 win. Surrette was back at it in the second game, netting a hat trick, while Mike Santullo popped in a pair in the Tanners’ 5-2 win.
* Equally surprising was No. 2 BC High’s dominance of No. 3 Catholic Memorial, 7-1, in the Catholic Conference opener. The Eagles erupted for six power play goals against the reigning league champion. Matt Cox and James Marshall scored two goals apiece while Ryan Flaherty, Brian Bulger and Aidan McDonnell added one apiece. Michael Corbett scored for CM.
* No. 6 St. Mary’s blasted Bishop Fenwick, 10-1, in the Catholic Central Large behind dual hat tricks from seniors Colby Magliozzi (assist) and Kyle LoNigro. Sophomore Brady Bullock added two goals and two assists. Senior Cam Martin registered his 100th career point on Fenwick’s lone goal.
* Sophomore Cam Fici netted a natural hat trick in his debut as No. 14 Belmont posted it first of consecutive shutouts of Lexington in Middlesex Liberty action, 3-0. The Marauders prevailed, 4-0, in the second game.
* No. 10 Braintree belted Newton North, 8-0, in Bay State crossover play, sparked by sophomore Nick Fasano’s hat trick in his varsity debut. Billy Derrane and Tim McLaughlin tallied two goals apiece for the Wamps.
* Jack Jay pumped in five goals and added two assists as No. 13 Burlington swept a two-game season-opening set from Wilmington, 4-2 and 5-3, in Middlesex League action.
* Declan Hunter, Kevin McElaney and Eddie Jackson scored and Jack Curran had the shutout in Walpole’s 3-0 win against Milton in Bay State Herget play
* Drew Anderson (ENG) scored twice in Waltham’s 3-1 Dual County League win against Bedford. The teams also skated to a 2-all tie.
* Senior defenseman Ronan Mulkerrin, junior forwards Sean Garrity and Wyatt Iaria, and sophomore forward Aidan Brazel had single goals and junior Luke Merrian made 12 saves as No. 11 Hingham shut down Silver Lake, 4-0, in the Patriot League.