The vacation week was a busy one on the local ponds for Division 4 teams in Massachusetts.
* Stoneham seemed on the verge of a tough defeat in the annual JL11 Holiday Classic, down a goal to Masconomet with less than a minute to play. But Joe Aronis tied it up with 48 seconds to go, then senior captain Joe Kranefuss netted the winning with 6.3 seconds left as the host Spartans rallied for a 5-4 victory and the championship.
Danny Storella scored twice and Kolby Horgan delivered on a penalty shot to help guide the Spartans to victory. … In the opening round, Storella and Horgan sparked the offense as each had hat tricks in a 10-6 win over Dedham. … Aronis also scored twice, and Kranefuss and Storella each added a goal as Stoneham beat Melrose, 5-2, in a Middlesex Freedom matchup.
* Hamilton-Wenham also got some late heroics to win the championship of the Lynn Jets Invitational, as Will Stidsen scored 1:06 into overtime to give the Generals a 3-2 win over Swampscott. Charlie Collins had the other two goals for H-W, which had beaten Rockport (5-2) in the opening round. … Swampscott reached the final with an 8-1 win over Lynn, as Max Gadon had two goals and an assist, and Aidan Sprague a goal and two assists. … Rockport picked up a 10-1 win over Lynn in the consolation game, led by T.J. Brunner’s hat trick and two goals from Gio Recupero.
* Watertown won the Everett Holiday Tournament at Allied Veterans MDC Rink, beating Northeast, 5-1. Colin Campbell and Alec Banosian scored a pair of goals each for the Raiders, with Mason Andrade also scoring. … In ML Freedom play, Nathan Master had a goal and assist, and Aidan Campbell two assists for the Raiders in their 3-1 win over Wakefield. … Goalie Cam Wyner backboned Northeast to a 4-3 win over Greater Lowell/Nashoba Tech in the consolation game.
* In Central Mass., Worcester edged Grafton/Blackstone Valley in a shootout for the championship of the Grafton Holiday Tournament, after the teams played to a 2-2 draw. Nathan Lashua’s shootout goal was the difference for the Wildcats, who got regulation goals from Luke Evers and Evan Taylor. Roman Gilliatt and Zack Baker had the goals for the Gators. … In Worcester’s 3-3 opening round tie with Northbridge, Evers scored twice and also had the lone goal of the shootout. … Seven different players scored for Grafton/Blackstone Valley, and Reed Henson made 12 saves in a 7-0 blanking of Holliston.
* Behind goals from Danny Stefanik, Mike Tardy and David Girouard, Chicopee Comp took the Chicopee Winter Classic title with a 3-0 win over Agawam. Victor Canavan earned the shutout for the Colts. … Stefanik, Girouard and Dylan Seymour all scored as Comp edged Gardner, 3-2, in overtime in the opening round.
* Amesbury cruised past Timberlane (N.H.), 15-1, in the opening round of the Hillies Christmas Classic. Luke MacFarland (five goals), Brady Burnham (two goals, two assists) and Kaden Bedard (goal, three assists) had big games in the win.
* Abington got 35 saves from Spencer Merrick in a 2-1 win over Rockland in the opening round of the Cashman Tournament. The Green Wave fell to Silver Lake in the title game.
* Bellingham prevailed in the opening game of the Bellingham Hockey Boosters Tournament, 10-5 over Tri-County, as Delacy Atkinson had a hat trick for the Blackhawks.
* Ryan Strout’s shootout goal lifted Lunenburg/Ayer Shirley in the Mark Bushnoe Tournament after skating to a 1-1 tie with Leominster. Garrett Hakey made 50 saves for the Blue Knights, who got a regulation goal from Ben Short.
* In the Cape & Islands, Hudson Perry’s pair of third-period goals were the difference for Nantucket in its 3-1 win over St. John Paul II.
* Brothers Chris Matton (hat trick, two assists) and Alex Matton (four goals) were the stars for Monomoy/Mashpee in its 12-4 nonleague win over Wareham/Carver. … The Monarchs also took care of East/West Bridgewater, 7-2, led by August Hand’s two goals. Sean Davock, Alex Matton and Wyatt Archibald added a goal and assist each.
* Brady Darcey’s fourth goal was the overtime winner for Shawsheen, which edged Westboro, 5-4.
* Sandwich rolled past Middleboro, 6-0, behind two goals and an assist each from Colin McIver and Jack Connolly. James Mawhinney scored his first career goal for the Blue Knights.
* Hull/Cohasset battled St. John Paul II to a 2-2 tie, getting the late equalizer from Justin Appleby as well as a goal from Luke Dunham. … Matt Mahoney had a hat trick for the Skippers in their 6-1 win over Blue Hills.
* Dom Boccelli (hat trick) and Anthony Rodrigues (two goals) accounted for the offense for Ashland in its 5-1 win over Abington. … Boccelli also scored twice in the Clockers’ 5-1 win over Oliver Ames.
* Tyler Proteau made 23 saves and Littleton/Bromfield blanked St. Bernard’s, 8-0, in a Coughlin Conference game. Darren Iversen led the offense with a hat trick. … In a 6-2 win over Easthampton, Ryan McNulty scored twice for the Tigers, and Iversen and Tyler Edwards chipped in a goal and assist each.
* Oakmont cruised past St. Bernard’s, 9-0, behind a pair of goals apiece from Nate Hylan and Zach Sarasin.
* St. Bernard’s got in the win column, icing St. Joseph Prep, 8-3, led by Eric Walker’s five goals.
* Trevor Seidell-Poirier had a hat trick and two assists, accounting for all the offense in Chicopee’s 5-1 win over Amherst in the Fay Division.
* Zack Lillie’s hat trick was the difference for Drury in its 5-2 Wright Division win over Southwick.
** Featured image courtesy of @BEACHSKATES