Catching up with some highlights from the the early going in Girls Massachusetts HS Hockey…
* Peabody/Lynnfield/North Reading opened up defense of its Northeastern Hockey League title with a 5-3 win over Masconomet. Paige Thibodeau and Chloe Shapleigh scored a pair of goals each while Catie Kampersal also scored. Sage Smith, Cali Caponigro and Gabby Oakes each had a goal for the Chieftains.
* Ellie Roberts scored twice, and Lizzie Tassinari, Tess Khoury and Payton McDonough added a goal apiece in Canton’s 5-2 win over Franklin in the second of two meetings to start the season. In the first meeting, the Bulldogs pulled away for a 4-0 win behind two goals from Audrey Koen.
* In a matchup of two Dual County League clubs, Waltham slipped past Concord-Carlisle, 2-1 as Bella Babstock and Angelina Caceda had goals. Ela Braceras scored the lone goal for the Patriots.[one_fourth] [/one_fourth] [one_fourth] [/one_fourth] [one_fourth] [/one_fourth] [one_fourth_last] [/one_fourth_last]
* Norwood and Medfield/Norton split a two-game series. The Mustangs took the second game 4-1 with two goals from Maeve Glavin and Caeli Reed. In the opener, Cassie McDonald scored twice in a 3-1 win for the Warriors.
* Natick notched an impressive 5-0 win over three-time defending D2 champion Wellesley to start its season. The Redhawks got two goals from Colleen Quirk and single tallies from Claire Maxwell, Caroline Gates and Abby Biegel.
* Milton and Walpole skated to a 4-4 standoff in each team’s season opener. Catherine Sweeney scored twice, and Kat Baker and Grace DeBenedictis once each for the Wildcats, while the Rebels got goals from Jess Tosone, Lucy Verderber, Elizabeth DeSimone and Kerrin MacMillan.
* Freshman Colby Cantor had quite an impressive debut, scoring all five of Norwell’s goals in a 5-2 victory over Scituate.
* Duxbury opened up the season with three straight shutouts. In a 4-0 conquest of Hingham, Ayla Abban scored two goals, while Carson Cerow and Lily Sparrow had one each. The Green Dragons also blanked Norwell on goals from Grace Landolfi and Katie Geis.
* The Newton Co-op picked up a big win, as two goals from freshman Danielle Morrill and shutout goaltending from Camille Kouroriez paved the way to a 2-0 win over Braintree.
* Matignon stayed hot to start the season with a 5-1 win over Bishop Feehan. Freshman Lizzie Greeley had two goals and Alaina Aiello, Erin Bennett and Tia Picardi one each in the win.
* Kelly Holmes had two goals, including the game-winner in the final minute of regulation, to power King Philip to a 3-2 win over Mansfield/Oliver Ames/Foxboro. Jen Daniels also had a goal for KP.
* Pembroke blanked Cohasset/Hanover, 4-0, behind goals from Megan Dorsey, Jennifer Birolini, Meghan Hanrahan and Ava Dunphy.
* Belmont doubled up Lexington, 4-2, in the season opener for both clubs. Senior Emma O’Donovan scored two goals, Samantha Rocci and Del Bonin one each for the Marauders in the win.
* Freshman Peyton Kennedy scored twice and fellow freshman Mackenzie Hydon once as Lincoln-Sudbury started off with a 3-1 win over Wayland/Weston.
* Maddie Krepelka had a hat trick as Arlington pulled away in the second half for a 4-2 win over Woburn in Middlesex League Liberty Division play. Makayla Doherty had the other goal for the Spy Ponders.
* Maddie Ledbury had a pair of goals in Needham’s 5-2 victory over Weymouth. Maddy Foster, Sofia Berejik and Grace Kelley added a goal each for the Rockets.