* A third period goal by Sean Barbera broke a 1-1 deadlock and was the difference in Reading’s 2-1 win over St. John’s Prep. Shawn Golden had staked the Rockets to a 1-0 lead with a shorthanded strike, which was matched by a power play goal by the Eagles’ Ryan Hart. Dylan Emery had a solid game in goal for the Rockets. Both teams are at home Saturday, with Reading hosting #12 Winchester in a key Middlesex League battle, and the Prep taking on Malden Catholic.
* In a battle of two of the top three teams in the latest HNIB News Massachusetts D1 rankings, #1 BC High had too much for #3 Xaverian, taking a 3-1 decision. Matt Keohane, Peter Kramer and freshman Declan Loughnane each had a goal for the Eagles. Xaverian, now 4-1, got a third period goal from Eric Wainwright.
* Malden Catholic gave new head coach Mike Collett his first win behind the bench with a 5-1 non-league victory over Xavier (CT). Antonio Colella led the offensive attack with a pair of goals.
* Two goals from Nolan Ricci and singles from Ryan Ackerly and Chris Roy powered #4 Austin Prep to a 4-2 win over Central Catholic.
* Franklin got back to winning ways with a 4-2 win over Oliver Ames. Joe Lizotte, Cam Casella, Zac Falvey and Shane McCaffrey all lit the lamp for the Panthers.
* Five different skaters – Jac Cordeiro, Brian Frieh, Tim Storie, Sean Jones and Chris Thorne – all scored in Barnstable’s 5-1 win over Coyle Cassidy.
* Duxbury won its fifth straight game, as goals from Friend Weiler, Tanner Smith and Jack Venturell were enough for a 3-1 win over Scituate in the Patriot League.
* Needham got a pair of goals each from Roman Tacelli and Nick Mahoney in an 8-0 win over Milton. Sam Rutter, Sam Keenan, Dan Demayo and Henry Brown each had a goal as well as the Rockets improved to 6-3-0.
* Billerica and Andover played to a 0-0 standoff in the MVC/Dual County I. Indians goalie Connor Feeney was outstanding, making 43 saves. Alex Trottier had 16 saves for Andover.
* Chelmsford slipped past Acton-Boxboro, 1-0, thanks to a goal by Bobby Turner. Drew Blodgett got his second shutout in goal for the Lions, now 4-1-1.
* St. Johns’s of Shrewsbury downed in-town rival Shrewsbury 5-1 with goals from Dhillon Wilde, Brendan Doherty, Sean Clark, Evan McDonald and Tim Farley. Luke DeFlumeri had two assists.