* It’s not often the top two teams in the pre-season poll square off in the season opener but that’s what occurred on Dec. 13 when No. 2 Central Catholic squeezed past No. 1 BC High, 1-0, at the Clark Center in a rematch of last season’s D1A semifinals. The Raiders’ Will Winship notched the game’s lone goal and Matt Pasquale posted the shutout.
* Pre-season No. 3 Pope Francis knocked off reigning D1A champion No. 4 Arlington on Dec. 11, 3-1. Sophomore goalie Gil Markman had 17 saves while Jacob King, Makem Demers and Trevor Crawford scored the goals.
* Freshman Roman Tacelli made a splashy varsity debut with a hat trick in Needham’s season-opening 6-2 win against Acton-Boxboro.
* Joe Sullivan (two goals, assist), Frankie Higgins (two goals), Jake Quilty (goal, two assists) and Marshall Terres (goal, assist) powered pre-season No. 18 Hingham past No. 13 Framingham, 6-0, in the season opener for the Harbormen.
* No. 20 Franklin, the 2016 D1 State champion, upended defending D1 State Champion No. 11 St. Mary’s, 4-3 in the season opener for both teams. Matt Holmes potted the game-winner for the Panthers, who also got goals from Brendan O’Reilly, Luke Downie and Zac Falvey. The Spartans’ goals came from Anthony Bono, Colby Magliozzi and Colin Reddy.
* St. John’s (S) got its season off to a rousing start with a 5-1 win against Mount St. Charles of Rhode Island, 5-1. Dhillon Wilde had two goals and an assist, Will Horrigan notched a goal and an assist, and Corey Splaine made 20 saves for the Pioneers.
* New Jersey’s second-ranked team Don Bosco Prep knocked off No. 12 Catholic Memorial, 2-0, on Dec. 15 and followed that up with a 4-1 win against BC High on Dec. 16. The Garden State’s top-ranked Delbarton shut out No. 6 Malden Catholic on Dec. 16 and blanked BC High 1-0 in an MIAA Endowment Game on Dec. 17.
* In Catholic Central Large action, pre-season No. 5 Austin Prep made new coach Bill Pappas’s debut a successful one with a 4-0 shutout of Bishop Fenwick. Junior goaltender Robbie Farrell earned his first career shutout in his first start. Sully Marino, Alex Maffeo, Max Pineo and Richard Lyons scored the Cougars’ goals.
* Pre-season No. 19 Reading shut down Rhode Island power Bishop Hendricken, 3-0, behind Matt Coughlin’s 22 saves. Mike Tobin, Jack Stanton and Sean Barbera (eng) scored for the Rockets.
* No. 8 St. John’s Prep controlled Hingham, outshooting the Harbormen, 30-11, in a 2-1 victory. Senior defenseman Tim Usalis scored the game-winner late in the second period and assisted on junior Joe Bevere’s power play strike in the first period.
* No. 7 Braintree fought off upset-minded Acton-Boxboro, 1-0. Dara Canavan scored the lone goal and Owen Cuddyer had 17 saves for the shutout.
* Newburyport skated to a 2-2 tie with St. Mary’s. Junior Jacob Grossi-Hogg’s first-period goal and senior Cole Spence’s third-period strike bracketed a pair of second-period goals by St. Mary’s.
* Owen Ginley’s 27-save shutout carried Franklin past Canton, 2-0, in the Hockomock League. Dan Magazu and Brendan O’Reilly netted the Panthers’ goals.
* Pre-season No. 14 Marshfield outlasted Barnstable, 5-4, as sophomore Tim Doyle and senior Cole McKenzie struck for two goals apiece.
* Will Trischitta’s second of two power play goals was the game-winner in Framingham’s 3-2 Bay State crossover win against Milton. Mike Tersoni assisted on all three Flyers’ goals.
* Pre-season No. 16 Andover overcame a 40-save performance by Acton-Boxboro’s junior goalie Luke Laforest in MVC/DCL One action. Jake LaChance scored twice and Mike Reilly had a goal and an assist for Golden Warriors. Cole Chingris had the shutout.
* Matignon and Arlington Catholic played to a 3-3 tie in the Catholic Central Large. Freshman Patrick Somerville scored two goals and Dan Shea notched the tying tally for AC. Tim Connors, Will Jennings and Kevin O’Keefe connected for Matignon.
* Pope Francis rolled past St. Peter-Marian in Catholic West action, 10-1. Trevor Crawford had two goals and two assists while Brendan Nehmer and Tyler Wilson added two goals apiece.