Home / High School Hockey / Massachusetts / Boys Mass. HS / Boys MA Div. I / Mass. D-1 Quarterfinal Recap: Three Middlesex clubs advance

Mass. D-1 Quarterfinal Recap: Three Middlesex clubs advance

Sean Verrier Reading

Sean Verrier

No. 12 Reading 5, No. 4 Melrose 3

The Raiders won the regular-season Middlesex League crossover match-up, 4-2, and raced out to a 2-0 first-period lead on a pair of goals 30 seconds apart by junior forward Brian McGlaughlin. However, the Liberty Division champion Rockets closed with a rush to advance to the semifinals.

Senior Michael Thomson tallied the second period’s lone goal, then pulled Reading even at 7:35 of the third period. The teams seemed destined for overtime until the Rockets’ James Donaghey broke the tie with 3:18 to play and Sean Verrier tallied what proved to be the game-winner nine seconds later. Melrose’s Eric Mercer made it 4-3 with 2:07 left but Verrier sealed it with an empty-netter.

Melrose finished with a 13-5-5 record.



No. 3 Wilmington 1, No. 6 Medford 0 (2 OT)

Cody McGowan Wilmington

Cody McGowan


The two-time defending Division Two State champs advanced to the Sectional semifinal in their first D1 campaign. Senior Cody McGowan’s power play goal after Medford was whistled for too many men on the ice with the teams skating 4-on-4 ended it.


Medford, which held a slight 24-21 edge in shots, couldn’t dent Wilmington keeper Drew Foley, who turned back everything that came his way while notching his fourth shutout of the year.


Medford finished up its debut season under Shawn Bates at 13-6-3.



No. 2 Arlington 6, No. 10 St. John’s (S) 3

Senior goaltender Mike Schiller did it again for the Spy Ponders. Entering the game midway through the first period – earlier than usual under coach John Messuri’s split time system – Schiller turned back 22 of 23 SJS shots. The teams exited a wild first period tied at 3-3.


Seth Coiley powered Arlington with a hat trick and, after a scoreless second period, Steven Liakos scored the game-winner at 5:15 of the third period. Coiley and Liakos put it away scoring 30 seconds apart with little more than five minutes to play. Garrett Lehan, Chris Stalmok and Ian Wetherbee scored for the Pioneers while Mario Pizzeri made 27 saves.


St. John’s concluded its first year under Mike Mead with an 11-6-7 record.






Kevin Doyle

Kevin Doyle

Kevin joined HNIB in 1990 and is a Senior Writer and Director of the Northern New England and Mass/R.I. High School Division camps. A veteran editor/writer of 40 years in the print and digital mediums, he has edited and produced original content and coordinated production for local and global publications and websites. He holds degrees from Merrimack College and Boston University and won multiple industry awards as Sports Editor of The Daily News of Newburyport and News Editor of The Amesbury News. He is the 2016 recipient of the North Shore Lifetime Commitment From the Community award presented by Moynihan Lumber and a 2017 Newburyport High School Wall of Fame inductee. He resides with his family in Portsmouth, NH. Email him at [email protected] and follow him on Twitter @kdoyle40
Kevin Doyle
- 16 hours ago
Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!