A look at Wednesday’s Games:
* Catholic Conference newcomer St. John’s of Shrewsbury (4-1-0) continues to command attention in its debut campaign and moved into first place with an impressive 3-2 win against BC High (3-2-0). The Eagles jumped to a 2-0 lead in the games first three minutes on strikes by Colin Oatway at 1:26 and James Marshall at 2:18. However, the Pioneers settled and rode Ryan Dailida’s 30-save performance and Sean Farrell’s game-winning goal at 4:13 of the second half to victory. SJS also got goals from Ryan Richard at 5:28 of the first half and Evan Parente 1:45 of the second half while Brett Edgren had two assists.
* Also in the Catholic Conference, St. John’s Prep (0-1-3) and Xaverian (0-2-3) remain in search of their first wins after playing to a 1-1 regulation tie, their second of the season. The Hawks won in OT to pick up the extra point in the league standings. Jimmy Ayers scored for SJP and Jake Curley scored for Xaverian.
* Malden Catholic (1-1-2) scored an impressive 3-1 Catholic Conference win against defending league champion Catholic Memorial (2-3-0). Evan Foskett, David Bazile and Chris Merryman scored for the Lancers and goalie Brady Roux amassed 34 saves.
* In the Catholic Central Large, sizzling unbeaten Archbishop Williams (9-0-3) spotted St. Mary’s (4-3-2) a 1-0 lead, then rattled off four unanswered goals for the 4-1 win. The Bishops got goals from Tim O’Connell (career first), Conor Kelly, Aidan McDonnell and John Riley in the impressive road win. Kyle LoNigro scored for the Spartans.
* In Middlesex Liberty play, unbeaten division leader Woburn (6-0-1) dealt Belmont (4-1-2) its first loss of the season, 3-0. Tanners’ senior Jonathan Surrette joined the program’s 100-point club with an assist and senior goalie Ryan Moriarty posted his third consecutive shutout. Senior Lance Anderson and sophomores Ryan Scalesse and Jackson Powers scored.
* Also in Middlesex Liberty, six players scored as Reading (1-2-2) won for the first time, knocking off Arlington (1-4-1), 6-4. Charlie Miele, Cullen Emery, Ryan Goodwin, Mike Dufton, Johnny Vedder and Treavor Owens scored for the Rockets, offsetting Jack Sadowski’s hat trick for the Spy Ponders.
* In the Patriot League, undefeated Hingham (9-0-0) scored the first five goals in a 5-2 Senior Night win against Whitman-Hanson. Paul Forbes, Lars Osterberg, Ronan Mulkerrin, Evan Corbett and Connor Walsh connected for the Harbormen.
* Also in the Patriot League, Marshfield squeezed past old rival Duxbury, 3-2, on Tommy Carroll’s second goal of the game. Will Doherty also scored for the Rams. T.J. Jones and Billy Mrowka had the Green Dragons’ goals.
* In the Dual County League, unbeaten Waltham (2-0-2) got a hat trick from senior Dylan Fogg in its 5-3 win against D2 Concord-Carlisle.
* In the Hockomock League, Franklin topped D3 Attleboro, 6-2, behind a pair of goals from Justin Abely, including the game-winner.
* In non-league play, Austin Prep (7-2-3) of the Catholic Central Large rolled over Bridgewater-Raynham (1-3-2) of the Southeast Conference, 9-2, behind eighth-grader Jacob Duval’s hat trick.
* In the Bay State Herget, Milton (1-4-1) stopped Needham (1-3-0), 5-2, behind goalie Jake Pelton’s 22-save effort for his first varsity win. Owen Radley (assist), Johnny Lesser (assist) Tyler MacNeil, Colin Hoey and Jimmy Fallon scored for the Wildcats.
Melrose 4, Burlington 3
Weymouth 5, Newton North 3
Falmouth 2, Sandwich 1
Central Catholic 7, Haverhill 1
Nauset 4, Barnstable 3
Natick 1, Walpole 1
Wellesley 2, Brookline 0
- featured image courtesy of @BEACHSKATES images