Maine HS Hockey – Class A Semifinals: Thornton Topples Top Seed Edward Little; #7 Scarborough Wins In 2 OT

Nathan Fournier
Nathan Fournier
Nathan has been covering college, junior, and high school hockey for the last six years for numerous publications. You can follow him on Twitter @jrhockeywriter.

Related posts

No. 5 Thornton Academy 2, No. 1 Edward Little 1

Thornton Academy senior goalie Gage Tarbox-Belanger stood on his head. He made 28 saves for the fifth-seeded Golden Trojans in the win over the top-seeded Red Eddies.

Gage Tarbox-Belanger
Thornton Academy

Thornton Academy will now face seventh-seeded Scarborough Red Storm in the state championship Saturday at 3 p.m. Tarbox-Belanger first big save came in early in the first period when he stopped Edward Little’s Wesley Clements on a partial breakaway.

Freshman Gavin Pellerin put Thornton up 1-0 when he put home a rebound from an Alex St. John shot. Lucas Hubbard had the secondary assist.

Colby Bilodeau Thornton Academy

Edward Little started to put shots on Tarbox-Belanger in the second period. Tarbox-Belanger stopped them all and got help from one of his posts on a Clements’ shot.

Clements beat Tarbox-Belanger in the third period on a breakaway when Clements went forehand-backhand at the 7:06 mark.

The game was only tied for a few minutes. Colby Bilodeau scored the eventual game-winner with a power-play goal at the 9:48 mark.

Thornton tighten up defensively and the Red Eddies couldn’t get the equalizer in the final five minutes Gage Ducharme made 25 saves for Edward Little

No. 7 Scarborough 5, No. 3 South Portland/Waynflete/Freeport 4

Wyatt Grondin played the role of hero for the seventh-seeded Scarborough Red Storm. He scored 3:21 into double overtime to send the Red Storm to the Class A state championship game against fifth-seeded Thornton Academy. Jack Matthews and Billy Mahoney had the assists.

The first period was scoreless but the action picked up early in the second period. Jack Matthews scored 13 seconds in the period to give Scarborough a 1-0 lead. Will Fallona had the assist.

Nearly four minutes in the second period Tobey Lappin tied the game at 1-1 for the Red Riots, with Richard Gilboy picking up the assist

Off a faceoff, 5:15 into the period, Cullen Adams won the offensive zone faceoff to Roan Hopkins who blasted a shot past Scarborough goalie Keegan Weed for a 2-1 lead.

Ian Wright scored early in the third period to put the Red Riots up 3-1. Gilboy and Tappin had the helpers on the power-play goal

Scarborough stormed back when Olin Pederson cut the deficit to 3-2, 86 seconds into the third period.

Billy Mahoney tied the game at 3-3, 6:36 into the third stanza by sniping the far post and Matthews had the assist. Matthews jammed home the puck past Red Riots goalie Jasper Curtis to give Scarborough a 4-3 lead with under six minuted to play in the third period.

With 4:40 remaining in the third period, Hopkins tied the game at 4-4 with another blast.

- Sponsor -


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

- Sponsor -
- Sponsor -
- Sponsor -