Home / High School Hockey / Maine Class A Regional Semifinals: Miracle Comeback By Lewiston Keeps Defending Champs Alive

Maine Class A Regional Semifinals: Miracle Comeback By Lewiston Keeps Defending Champs Alive

Class A North

Lewiston 6, Edward Little 5

The No. 1 Lewiston Blue Devils came back from a three-goal deficit in the final 1:53 to force overtime. Ridge Field scored his second goal of the game in the overtime session to give the Blue Devils a 6-5 overtime victory over the No. 4 Edward Little Red Eddies in a Class A North regional semifinal contest. Ben St. Laurent started the comeback to cut the deficit to 5-3. Ryan Pomerleau scored 24 seconds later and he assisted on Damon Bossie’s game tying goal with 37 seconds remaining.

Kurtis Pelletier gave the Blue Devils a 1-0 lead in the first period before Ben Cassidy tied it up for EL with one of his four goals on the night. Field gave Lewiston a 2-1 lead in the second before Cam Sturgis and Cassidy made it 3-2. Cassidy scored back-to-back goals at the 5:52 and 7:24 marks. Jacob Smith made 20 saves for the Blue Devils while Devon D’Auteuil made 23 in the losing effort for the Red Eddies.

St. Dom’s 3, Bangor 0

Gaston Fuksa stopped all 31 shots he faced as the No. 2 St. Dominic Academy Saints defeated the No. 3 Bangor Rams 3-0 in a Class A North semifinal. Will Fletcher had two goals for the Saints. Will Fletcher gave the Saints a 1-0 lead at the 6:55 mark of the second period from the slot. Assists went to Dominic Chasse and Leondro Naus. Fletcher scored his second 4:20 into the third period with Chasse picking up his second assist of the night.

Class A South

Portland/Deering 2, Thornton Academy 1

Two third period goals lifted  No.5 Portland/Deering to 2-1 victory over the  No. 1 seeded Thornton Academy Trojans. Dante Tocci tied the game at the 3:15 mark of the third period on an unassisted effort. Jacob Luce found Whitfield Steele who gave Portland/Deering the 2-1 lead with 5:21 remaining in the game. Freshman keeper Ryan Becker made 30 saves in the win. Thomas Lavasseur scored for Thornton in the first period while Seth Dube made 23 saves in the loss.

Biddeford 3, South Portland/Freeport/Waynflete 1

Trevor Ouellette had a hat trick to pace the No. 2 Biddeford Tigers to a 3-1 victory over No. 3 South Portland/Freeport/Waynflete in a Class A South regional semifinal. His first goal came at the 3:35 mark of the opening period as it was one of only two shots the Tigers had on net in the opening 15 minutes. Assists went to Nick McSorely and Colin Petit. With game tied 1-1, Ouellette broke the deadlock with 5:14 remaining in the second stanza with McSorely and Petit picking up their second assists.

With 4:22 remaining in the game Ouellette completed the hat trick as he put home the loose puck home in the crease. Justin Larnard made 20 saves including a crucial penalty shot in the second period as he stopped Bobby McMains with a poke check to keep the game 2-1. Andrew Burns scored in the third period for the Red Riots. Liam McGribbon made 17 saves in the loss.

Nathan Fournier

Nathan Fournier

Nathan has been covering college, junior, and high school hockey for the last six years for numerous publications. You can follow him on Twitter @jrhockeywriter.
Nathan Fournier
- 39 mins ago
Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!