Eastern Hockey League – EHLP Frozen Finals: Boston Jr. Rangers Advance To Saturday’s Title Game; Four-Goal Second Period Fuels 5-3 Win Over NE Wolves

HNIB Staff
HNIB Staffhttps://www.hnibnews.com
In 1972, two lifetime high school hockey fans started a weekly broadcast of Greater Boston high school games on WBOS-FM (92.9). The duo - Lance LoFaro and Darby Yaeger - called the nightly broadcasts "Hockey Night in Boston". As of late, HNIBnews - over 40 years running - has kept the scholastic hockey world on its feet with its widely-read website HNIBnews.com. In addition to HNIBnews, Hockey Night in Boston runs MassHSHockey.com, and also hosts summer tournaments showcasing the talents of scholastic hockey.

Related posts

Game #2 of the night featured the three seeded New England Wolves and the fourth seeded Boston Jr Rangers.  The Rangers opened round robin play with a 3-1 win over New Jersey. The Wolves fell to the Railers 7-4.  Both teams went back to their starters from game one. It was Luciano Chinappi for the Rangers and Krystopher Richard for the Wolves.

This one belonged to the Jr. Rangers, who utilized a four-goal second period en route to a 5-3 win and a berth in Saturday’s championship game against the top-seeded Worcester Railers.

Early in the first there was a bit of a feeling out period. Only a handful of shots made it to goal and neither goalie was really tested. The first power play came 9:23 in when Denis Berak was sent off for a rough. Right as the power play expired Jacob Lopes put a wrist shot on from well out that changed direction and hit the post. The Rangers would challenge the play, but after review the call of no goal on the ice stood.

Harrison Flaacke of the Boston Jr. Rangers tries to elude the Wolves’ Harrison Kramer in first period of the Rangers’ 5-3 win which clinched a spot in Saturday’s EHLP championship game.

The Rangers would continue to push and Eirik Moger would throw a shot on through a maze of bodies that found the back of the net for his first of the playoffs. That stood as the only goal of the first period.

Boston kept the pedal to the medal in the second. Max Wretsell would score his eighth of the playoffs on a bullet from the slot. The Wolves would fight back as their top line went to work. Harry Kramer danced by the defense, and Zach Spicuzza poked it home to cut the lead to 2-1.

With 2:15 to go in the middle period Carter Amidon picked up a Jacob Lopes rebound and put it home to restore the two goal lead. PJ Sweeney and Wretsell would both score in the final 14 seconds of the period as the Rangers took a 5-1 lead into the third period.

The Junior Rangers slowed down the pace in the third period. They allowed just three shots on goal through the first 12 minutes of the period. The Wolves were able to break through shortly after. Rihards Kelmers would strike with just over six minutes to go on a great feed from David Klaus to cut the lead to three. Berak and the Wolves would not go away quietly. Berak came down the wing and potted his own rebound past Chinappi. Now, the lead was down to 5-3 with 3:52  to go. The Rangers would hold on secure the 5-3 win to reserve their spot against the Railers on Championship Saturday!

New England Wolves head coach Andrew Trimble of the Wolves was very proud of his team.

“I want this group to be remembered as a resilient group,”  he said.

Danny Ferri of the Rangers spoke on the mindset his team has.

“Our team mentality is keep it level-headed,” said Ferri.

That has shown in the playoffs as this Ranger group looks cool calm and collected at all times. Finally, we caught up with Max Wretsell to discuss the Rangers’ top line.

“Me and PJ have played together so long we have chemistry, and (Brody) Sloan has added a lot to our line,” Wretsell added.

** Story by Mikey Basile

- Sponsor -


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

- Sponsor -
- Sponsor -
- Sponsor -