– Two of the traditional powers played big out-of-state games this week: Notre Dame-West Haven beat Bishop Hendricken of Rhode Island 6-4 behind Matt Dumas‘ hat trick; his late short-handed goal proved to be the winner. Meanwhile, Fairfield Prep came from behind twice to tie New Jersey’s Don Bosco 2-2. Freshman Jack Hoey scored the first goal; senior Matt Wikman got the second, short-handed, with 1:31 to play.
– Freshmen led the way for Simsbury in a 2-1 win over East Catholic. Riley Chapman scored both goals, and goalie Mike Adorno allowed just one goal for the second game in a row.
– Surprising East Haven had to come from behind but beat Amity 4-3 (Matt Longobardi had two goals) to take its second in a row, both against Division II competition, after its first loss, to Notre Dame-West Haven.
– Tyler Hackett had two goals and an assist, and Tony Pascale had a goal and two assists to help Branford past Hand, 5-3. The Hornets are unbeaten in seven. Chase Briggs made 32 saves for the Tigers.
– North Haven snapped a three-game winless streak (0-1-2, including a tie with Branford) with a 5-0 win over Watertown/Pomperaug. Joe D’Amico had a couple of goals, John Jensen had a goal and an assist, and Chris Pullano made 25 saves for the shutout.
– Masuk pulled off a big win over streaking New Milford, beating the Green Wave 6-3 behind Charlie Christo‘s four goals. Connor Muller made 25 saves in the win for the Panthers, who’ve won four in a row. The Green Wave had won seven in a row.
– Jason Diamond had a goal and an assist, and Liam Bambery had two assists to help Housatonc/Northwestern/Wamogo past Rocky Hill/RHAM/Middletown 5-3. Rocky Hill’s Scott Mocko was the only player with two goals.
– Christian Giacondino and Mike Cerotti both had three goals (Cerotti’s a natural hat trick) in Sheehan’s 9-4 win over Shepaug/Litchfield/Nonnewaug; Andrew Loya had a goal and an assist for S/L/N.
– Cooper McLean scored two goals as Newtown jumped out in front and held on to beat Barlow 3-2.