The 2019 CIAC Division 1 tournament is underway, and here is a look at some first round action. Six game were played Tuesday night. Top seeds #1 Ridgefield and #2 Northwest Catholic drew byes into Saturday’s quarterfinal round.
* #8 Xavier, behind a three-goal effort from Trevor Earley, pasted #9 West Haven 9-1. Earley also had a pair of assists. #6 Notre Dame of West Haven doubled up Fairfield Co-op 6-3, as John D’Errico recorded four points in the victory.
* Goaltender Kacy Adams recorded the shutout during #13 Notre Dame of Fairfield’s stunning 1-0 victory over #4 Hamden. Brian Essing scored the only goal for the Lancers. Chandler Dumont netted a pair of goals to lead #5 Fairfield Prep to a convincing 7-1 triumph over Simsbury.
* Two goals and two assists from Sam Erickson spearheaded #3 Darien to a 10-0 whitewash of #14 St. Joseph. Brendan Knightly scored the tying goal with 11.3 seconds remaining, and teammate Gunnar Granito bagged the game-winning tally just 23 seconds into overtime to send #7 New Canaan past #10 Greenwich 2-1.
* A three-goal performance by Jack Dacey helped lift #2 Guilford to a commanding 5-1 win over #15 Amity. Troy Harwell notched his 100th career point in helping assist #1 Watertown-Pomperaug to a 5-3 victory over #17 East Haven. Four goals by Cam O’Connor allowed #5 South Windsor to breeze past #12 North Branford 9-0.
* #3 Cheshire edged #14 Eastern Ct. Eagles 3-2 after Thor Novicelli netted the game-winning goal late. #4 Branford defeated #13 Woodstock Academy 6-2 behind Robbie Lionetti’s hat trick.
* In other Division 2 games, #10 Farmington Valley defeated East Catholic 5-2, #9 WMRP got goals from Trevor Piecewicz, Aaron Cholewa and Michael Schneider in upending E.O. Smith 3-1 and #6 Glastonbury skated past #11 Westhill-Stamford 6-2. Adam Poetto, Jeff Kantor, Justin Hazard, Ryan Ginnett and Keane Smith were amongst the goalscorers.
* Alex Knisley scored a pair of goals to lead #6 Tri-Town to a 4-0 victory over #11 Staples. Three goals from Devin Napoli ignited #4 Sheehan to an easy 6-1 victory over #13 Northeastern Shamrocks. Goaltender Alex DiPaola allowed no goals as #3 Newington blanked #14 Trinity Catholic 9-0.
* Top-seed Daniel Hand got a pair of goals each from Mike McKeon and Joe DeAngelis to shutout out the #16 RedHawks 7-0. #5 JBWA slipped past #12 Housatonic-NW-Wamgo-Torrington
* Kyle Roberts notched his 200th career point in #2 Lyman Hall’s 6-1 win over #15 Masuk. Jack Roberts and Matt Pettit each potted a pair of goals each. Zach Hook found the back of the net three times to lead #7 New Milford past #10 BBD 6-3. In another Division 3 tilt, #8 Newtown had seven different goal scorers as it blasted #9 Wilton 7-2.
- Compiled by John McGuirk