Connecticut high school hockey is one full week into the 2021-22 season, and it’s already been an eventful one, including a shakeup right at the top of the Division 1 rankings.
No. 3 New Canaan got goals from Carter Spain, captain Michael Rayher, Brayden Robie and Gavin Fitzpatrick, and upended top-ranked Fairfield Prep, 4-1. Luke Noonan had the goal for the Jesuits. … New Canaan also opened its season with a 4-0 win over West Haven. Beau Johnson (23 saves) earned the shutout, and the Rams got two goals and an assist from Fitzpatrick.
* Earlier in the week, Fairfield Prep prevailed in a back-and-forth game with Ridgefield, winning 4-3 in overtime on William Huntington’s second goal of the game. … Huntington also scored twice, as did Henry Keller, in FP’s 8-0 win over Greenwich. Nick Ambrosio earned the shutout for the Jesuits.
* Ridgefield was a 4-0 winner over Notre Dame (Fairfield) on goals from Angelo Ciminiello, Christopher Hamilton, Aiden Chang and Eric Pereira.
* Cole Studwell (32 saves) had the shutout for Greenwich in a 4-0 win over Daniel Hand. Daniel Pratley, Gage Bria, Will Duncan and Joe Lewis scored for the Cardinals.
* Led by Ryan Tymon (two goals, assist) and Matthew Jankovsky (two goals), Fairfield/Warde Ludlowe doubled up Xavier, 6-3.
* Patrick Heslin finished with two goals and an assist for Immaculate in its 4-3 win over St. Joseph.
* Behind a James Mikos shutout and a hat trick from James Mascari, Notre Dame (West Haven) opened with a 5-0 win over Toll Gate (R.I.).
* Elliott Lancaster’s goal gave Darien a 2-1 win over Hamden. Tommy Branca had the other goal for the Blue Wave.
* Quinn Heagney’s two goals were the difference for Simsbury in its 3-1 win over Farmington Valley.
* Dylan Gay notched a hat trick and Lyman Hall outlasted Cheshire, 6-5. Jack Roberts added two goals and Ryan Arduini one for the Trojans. Colin Veivia scored twice to lead the Rams. … FWL also edged past Immaculate, 6-5, behind Jankovsky’s hat trick as well as two goals from Ryan Flynn. … Roberts had a huge game with three goals and three assists in the Trojans’ 8-1 win over North Haven. Pettit (goal, four assists), James Cohrs (two goals) and Gay (goal, three assists) also shined for Lyman Hall. Dylan Florio made 31 saves.
* Gennaro Pompano had a hat trick and two assists, and Michael Savo also had a hat trick as East Haven rolled over Staples, 9-2. Parker Sprankle chipped in two goals for the Yellowjackets. Tyler DiMaio and Cooper Paul scored for the Wreckers. … East Haven also scored a wild 9-7 win over Cheshire on another Pompano hat trick, plus two more goals from Sprankle and Griffin McGlinchey. Zach Olson had two goals for Cheshire.
* Brenden Hilinski and Max Festa scored twice each and Sheehan rolled past New Milford, 7-3.
* Jordan Grabine, Anthony Corelli and Jake Frattaroli each scored twice as Westhill-Stamford coasted past Amity, 6-1.
* Joe Carangelo led five different scorers with a goal and two assists in Amity’s 5-1 win over Staples.
* Goals from Jack O’Connor, Cole Usseglio, Colin Turer and Brady Hemenway propelled East Catholic to a 4-1 win over Glastonbury.
* Behind goals from Drew Jean, Aidan Adams, Zack Caporale and Alex Rodriguez, Glastonbury doubled up Branford, 4-2.
* Matthew Ruck made 33 saves and Wethersfield blanked Simsbury, 2-0. Colby Quinn (shorthanded) and Will McCarter (empty net) scored for the Eagles.
* Dylan Hutton’s overtime goal gave South Windsor a 4-3 victory over Wethersfield.
* Bryce Peterson and North Haven shut out New Milford, 6-0.
* Connor Konopka’s hat trick sparked Rocky Hill in its 7-1 win over Northeastern. Brody Davidson added a goal and three assists for the Terriers, and Jacob Nelson a goal and two assists. Austin Jonas scored for the Shamrocks.
* Noah Sampson (two goals, two assists) and Don Sousa (two goals, assist) sparked the offense for Woodstock Academy in an 8-3 win over Eastern Connecticut.
* Brendan Birmingham’s four goals sparked Tri-Town in its 5-3 win over Conard. Vincenzo Rumore had the other goal for the TerrorCats.
* Patrick Gummer posted the shutout and Bryce Jimenez notched the game-winner in Norwalk-McMahon’s 2-0 blanking of JBWA.
* Jordan Blais had a hat trick, Austin Renggli and Ben Wosko scored twice each, and SGWL outlasted Housatonic, 9-5.
* Connor Chirico and Joey Honcz each had goals in Milford’s 3-1 win over Enfield.
* Masuk took down Shepaug Valley, 8-2, behind Drew Scalia’s four goals and a pair from AJ Michetti.