For the second time in as many games, Fairfield Prep needed a little late magic to maintain its hold on the top spot of the Connecticut Division 1 rankings. This time it was Mason Whitney’s goal with 1:14 left in regulation that rallied the Jesuits to a 2-2 tie with Notre Dame-West Haven in a matchup of Hockey Night in Boston’s top two teams Wednesday.
Aksel Sather won a faceoff on the right side to Tiernan Curley along the right boards. A quick pass to the high slot fed Whitney, who snapped home the tying goal.
Whitney also scored the other goal to give Fairfield Prep a 1-0 lead, but John D’Errico and John-Michael Childs struck to give the No. 2 Green Knights a 2-1 edge. It stayed that way despite the Jesuits’ barrage of shots on goalie Connor Smith, who finished with 46 saves. Finally, after a timeout and with goalie Tommy Martin (22 saves) pulled, the faceoff play led to the equalizer.
* In a late night matchup, Wilton stunned previously unbeaten Bethel-Brookfield-Danbury, 5-1. Colin Lenskold had a pair of goals for the Wildcats, who jumped to a 3-0 lead after one period and padded it to 5-0 after two. Wilton, which has just 10 skaters, held on from there behind the strong goaltending of Logan Motyka, who allowed only a third-period goal to the IceCats’ Kyle Boller. In the teams’ meeting last weekend, it was a 3-3 game going into the third before BBD wore Wilton down and pulled away for a 7-3 win.
Motyka and Wilton also blanked Staples, 2-0. Colin Lenskold and Luke O’Neill had the goals for the Wildcats.
* Boden Gammill finally broke the ice in overtime and New Canaan outlasted Ridgefield, 1-0. Beau Johnson made 26 saves for the shutout for the Rams.
* James Conway scored and Chris Schofield did the rest as Darien blanked Greenwich, 1-0. In the loss, Charlie Zolin made 30 saves for the Cardinals.
* Jason Dittmann scored the tying goal with four minutes left, then set up Justin Miller’s overtime winner as Amity rallied past Milford, 2-1. Kyle Kosh had the goal for the Mariners.
* Evan Vasiljevs had a hat trick and assist, and Niklas Vasiljevs scored the tiebreaking goal in the second period as Cheshire pulled away from Guilford, 8-4. Evan Vasiljevs’ third goal capped a three-goal third period for the Rams, with Michael Caron and Rocco Ocone-Krause also scoring. Aiden Gaudet and Damon Zurolo had the other goals in the win, while Gabe Magriz and Michael Donato added three assists apiece. Amaan Chaudry made 16 saves. For the Guardians, Mike Torre, Will Petrick, Steven Tortora and Tom Ring scored, and Gavyn Litvyn made 22 stops.
* Sheehan cruised past New Milford, 9-0, as Luke Festa, Andry Guy and Joey Romano scored a pair of goals each. Anthony DeFilio, Dylan Hennessey and Anthony Romano also scored to support Michael Fritz’ first career shutout. … The Titans also edged past Westhill/Stamford, 3-1, as Anthony Romano, Joey Romano and Hennessey were able to break through W/S goalie Eric Osterhaus, who made 58 saves in the loss.
* Rhys Davies had a hat trick and two assists, and Fairfield Warde/Ludlowe remained unbeaten with a 6-1 win over St. Joseph. Finn Hoey and Sam Swanson added a goal and assist each for the Mustangs, John Vallillo also scored, and Charlie Swanson chipped in two assists. Andrew Tata had the lone goal for St. Joseph.
* Owen McGoldrick’s hat trick was the difference for Conard in its 5-2 win over E.O. Smith/Tolland. Aidan Shaffer scored the tiebreaking goal early in the third for the Chieftains, and McGoldrick added two more to ice it. John Hodgson also scored in the win. The Bucks got their goals from Lukas Klopfer and Cam Sterling. … McGoldrick also scored along with Emory Sirman, and Greydon Selstad made 38 saves as Conard edged Enfield, 2-1. Luke Arsenault scored for the Eagles.
* Immaculate posted wins on consecutive days, the latter a 5-1 conquest of Watertown-Pomperaug. Ryan Foye and Matt Butera scored their first varsity goals for the Mustangs, Patrick Heslin had a goal and two assists, and Timmy Hayden and Chase Dietter also scored. Francis McGreal made 28 saves. … Immaculate also was coming off a 3-2 win the previous night over Newtown/New Fairfield, getting the winning goal with 2:23 to play.
* Watertown-Pomperaug bounced back with a 5-2 win over North Branford. Tommy Leonard scored twice for the Indians, Matthew Christina and Ryan Magee had a goal and assist apiece, and Joey Meglio also scored. Max Maisano scored both goals for the Thunderbirds.
* Rocky Hill picked up goals from Brody Davidson, Josh Fontaine and Jacob Nelson to topple Enfield, 3-1. Logan Santy scored in the loss for the Eagles.
* Farmington Valley got two goals each from Mackie Stambaugh and Tyler Stoneman to roll past Glastonbury, 7-1. Scott Groleau, Jack Calcavecchia and Brendan Occhino added goals for the Generals. Keane Smith had the lone goal for the Trojans.
* Simsbury’s Drew Anastasio and Northwest Catholic’s Cory Alissa scored the goals as their teams battled to a 1-1 tie.
* Xavier took down Notre Dame-Fairfield, 6-2, behind two goals each from Dylan Rovetti and Julian Sicurella. Niko Spaniotis scored his first career goal for the Falcons, and Dylan Reynolds rounded out the scoring. Kevin Barrett and Brian Essing scored for the Lancers.
* With goals from Giancarlo Montanaro, Jack McLean, Colin Franzen and Jake Terlik, Trumbull doubled up Norwalk-McMahon, 4-2. Alex DiRaffaele and Finn Cullen got the goals for NorMac.