The first full week of January ended with a handful of prime time showdowns in Connecticut boys’ hockey.
* Start with Division 1, where Notre Dame-West Haven asserted itself in a 5-2 win over Fairfield Prep, Ty Battipaglia scored twice in the first period for the Green Knights, who took a 3-1 at the break on an Ashton Delmonico tally. John Donohue and James Mascari rounded out the scoring in the win. James Murphy and Luke Noonan bookended with goals for the Jesuits, but it wasn’t enough.
* Doster Crowell’s goal with 30 seconds left drew top-ranked New Canaan into a 1-1 tie with Ridgefield. James Ahern scored for the Tigers earlier in the third period. … Earlier in the week, Ahern also scored in overtime as Ridgefield pulled out a wild 7-6 win over St. Joseph.
* In the Battle of Wallingford, Lyman Hall got bragging rights over previously unbeaten Sheehan with a 5-4 victory. Dylan Gay scored twice for the Trojans, who also got goals from Austin Zhuo, Liam Brooky and Jack Roberts. For the Titans, Billy Totz, Andry Guy, Brenden Hilinski and Max Festa had the goals.
* Newington took early season supremacy in Division 3 by knocking off E.O. Smith/Tolland, 3-1. Evan Howard, Tyler Leavitt and Mike Deegan had the goals for the Noreasters. Sutton Fransen scored for the Bucks, who had forward Cam Sterling stepped into net to make 31 saves.
In other action from the week in Connecticut …
* Jack Roberts’ hat trick was the difference for Lyman Hall in its 5-2 win over East Catholic. … The Trojans also took down Branford, 6-3, led by Jimbo Cohrs with two goals.
* Max Festa scored twice for Sheehan in its 6-2 win over North Branford, Andry Guy, Mathew Carboni, Billy Totz and Landon Cantele had the other goals.
* Fairfield Warde/Ludlowe continued its unbeaten start, edging past St. Joseph in overtime, 4-3. Charlie Swanson (goal, two assists), James Kohm (goal, assist), Alex Melillo and Noah Kingsly had the scoring for the Mustangs.
* Led by Austin Ashby (two goals, assist) and Matthew Farasciano (two goals), Trumbull overcame an early deficit and cruised past McMahon-Norwalk, 8-1. Giancarlo Montanaro added three assists for the Eagles.
* Jordan Grabine’s two goals were the difference as Westhill-Stamford doubled up McMahon-Norwalk, 4-2. Alex DiRafalle and Keegan Cullen counted for Normac.
* Patrick Dabrowski scored his first career goal and had an assist in Notre Dame-Fairfield’s 4-3 win over West Haven. Josh Livingston, Julian Pastore and Tyler Bassett added goals for the Lancers.
* New Canaan got a huge game from Michael Rayher (hat trick, three assists) in a 7-1 win over Greenwich. Max Lowe and AJ Bell netted their first career goals for the Rams.
* Conard got goals from five players, led by Brady Narus and John Hodgson with a goal and assist apiece, and the Chieftains toppled Northeastern, 5-1. Aiden Shaughnessy, John Wenz and Gavin McGowan had the other goals for Conard. Jason Tews scored a power play goal for the Shamrocks, who got 19 saves from Jack Bell.
* SGWL edged Northeastern, 2-1, on goals from Ryan Hughes and Jordan Blais, the latter with 50.6 seconds to go. Patrick Frommer had the goal for the Shamrocks.
* Evan Vasiljevs led a balanced scoresheet with a goal and assist as Cheshire iced Amity, 4-1. Zach Olson, Damon Zurolo and Devin Kelly added goals for the Rams, and Amaan Chaudry made 24 saves. Aiden Courtney had 40 stops for the Spartans, who got their goal from Dom Harris.
* Matt Morgan’s hat trick sparked Branford in its 4-0 win over Amity.
* Bryce Petersen posted the shutout and Alex Petersen scored twice, leading North Haven past Glastonbury, 3-0.
* Eastern Connecticut edged SGWL, 4-3, getting a goal and assist from Declan York plus goals from Wyatt Verbridge, Brett Caron and Kevin Yang. Josh Bertelli had two assists, and Nate Pratt 15 saves. Dylan Relaz (assist) has a point in all six games for the Eagles.
* Two goals from Nikos Ninios propelled Staples to a 6-1 win over Newtown/New Fairfield. Ben Epes, Cooper Paul, Jacob Serfaty and Jason Wolgast added goals for the Wreckers, and Aaron Kail made 19 saves. Wiley Harris had the goal for the Nighthawks.
* Patrick Heslin’s hat trick sparked Immaculate in a 6-4 win over Watertown-Pomperaug. Malcolm Thompson chipped in a goal and assist for the Mustangs.
* Wethersfield edged East Catholic, 3-2, thanks to goals from Will McCarter and Colby Quinn.
* Masuk rallied past Milford, 2-1, on goals from Drew Scalia and Nick Kondub.
* Gennaro Pompano scored twice and East Haven stayed unbeaten with its 5-3 win over Glastonbury. … Pompano and Griffin McGlinchey each had hat tricks in the Yellowjackets’ 9-1 rout of Milford.
* Ryan Pfaff scored twice and Daniel Hand took home a 5-2 win over Moses Brown (R.I.). Marcus Padula had the tiebreaking goal in the third for the Tigers, and Kevin Sandor and Matt Gervais (first career) also scored.
* New Milford blanked Milford, 4-0, getting goals from Steve Sanford, Ryan Parker, Nick Solomon and Graham Mitchell, and shutout goaltending from Jonas Veleas.
* Anthony Malonis had a hat trick and assist for Hamden in its 6-3 win over West Haven.
* Julian Sicurella’s hat trick sparked Xavier in its 7-3 win over Immaculate.
* Niko Tournas scored twice and JBWA shut down Newtown/New Fairfield, 3-0.