The abbreviated and delayed Connecticut high school hockey season got underway this past week, and already there was a first glimpse at how different things will be in 2021 and going forward.
Wethersfield and Rocky Hill, which previously skated together as the WMRP co-op, were on opposing sides Thursday night. Wethersfield came out on top in the initial meeting, as the Eagles got goals from Michael Schneider, William McCarter, Anthony Ruck and Kevin Avery. Matthew Ruck earned his first win in goal. For the Terriers, brothers Brody Davidson and Owen Davidson had the goals.
* Rocky Hill also dropped its opener to Hall-Southington, 3-2, in overtime. Cody Brew scored the deciding goal for the Warrior Knights, his second of the game, and Duncan Hollander had the other goal in the win. Connor Konopka and Jacob Nelson had the goals for the Terriers.
* Zach Pettit scored the tiebreaking goal with just over five minutes to play, lifting Lyman Hall to a 5-3 victory over Branford. Tommy Ralston had two goals and an assist for the Trojans, Jack Roberts added a goal and two assists, and Ryan Arduini his first career goal. Brendan Reddington made 24 saves. Michael Farricielli, Danny Farricielli and Declan Ross countered for the Generals.
* Led by Wyatt Christman’s hat trick and assist, St. Joseph got off to a hot start for new coach Chris Nelson with an 8-1 rout of Notre Dame-Fairfield. Johnny Karafa had a goal and two assists, with Andrew Eisenman, Kyle Marcinko, John McNabola and Joey Bisson also scoring for the Cadets. Trevor Kellogg chipped in three assists, Liam Gelston two, and Tyler Stiewing made 33 saves.
* New Canaan opened the season with a statement 2-1 win over Fairfield Prep. Eren Geray and John Eccleston had a goal and assist each, Carter Ellis assisted on both, and Beau Johnson played a big game in net for the Rams. Aaron Wong scored the goal for the Jesuits.
* Notre Dame-West Haven responded Wednesday by knocking off New Canaan, 3-2. Michael Troiano scored the eventual deciding goal in the third period for the Green Knights, who also got goals from John-Michael Childs and Zach Schroeder, as well as two assists from John D’Errico. Luc Lampert and Griffin Deane scored, and Beau Johnson made 25 saves for New Canaan.
* NDWH also opened its season Monday by rolling past Immaculate, 8-2. John D’Errico led the balanced scoring with a pair of goals, while Ryan Ahern, Ryan Cannon, Robert Allan, Ashton Delmonico, Grant Curtis and Luke Eberhart added single tallies. Michael Pilato had a pair of assists. For Immaculate, Tim Hayden had a goal and assist, and Jeffrey Peterson also scored.
* Harrison Palmer and Immaculate shut down New Milford, 5-0. Tim Hayden scored twice for the Mustangs, with Peter Wirth, Jeffrey Peterson and James Moreau adding a goal apiece.
* Fairfield Prep bounced back by shutting out Ridgefield, 3-0, behind the goaltending of Tommy Martin. Aksel Sather scored twice and William Huntington had the other for the Jesuits.
* Xavier clipped Hamden, 2-1, behind goals from Jack Nowosad and Ryan Drust.
* Teddy Dyer notched a hat trick and Darien outlasted Greenwich, 7-4. Albert Lian, Sam Erickson, James Conway and Rob Whittaker rounded out the scoring for the Blue Wave. Liam Matthews scored twice for the Cardinals, with Chris Cataldo and Brendan Frost notching the others.
* Jack McDermott’s tiebreaking goal in the third period sent Northwest Catholic to a 3-1 win over South Windsor. Chase Mawhinney had the goal for the Trojans. … Earlier in the week, Mawhinney and Sean O’Connor each scored in South Windsor’s 2-1 win over Simsbury.
* Ryan Magee’s hat trick accounted for all the scoring in Watertown-Pomperaug’s 3-0 win over Amity. Owen Gallagher had the shutout for the Indians.
* Jack McLean scored twice to propel Trumbull past Staples, 8-3. Peter Antoniu, John Guerrera, Josh Liebowitz, Nick Smagacz, Zach Jager and Owen Finnegan added goals for the Eagles, while the Wreckers got a goal and two assists from Jason Wolgast, as well as single goals from Ben Epes and Cole Feinleib.
* Matthew Jankovsky and Rhys Davies had a pair of goals each, and Fairfield Warde/Ludlowe crunched West Haven, 9-1. Also scoring were Charlie Swanson (three assists), Finnegan Hoey (two assists), Brendan Carney, Liam Forrest and Sam Swanson (assist). John Grace made 18 saves, beaten only by Mike Alfano’s goal for West Haven.
* West Haven had better luck in its opener, taking down Hamden, 5-2, behind two goals from Nick Boanno, as well as a goal and two assists each from Ben Carfora and D.J. Carfora. Mike Alfano added one for the Blue Devils. For the Green Dragons, Jesse Fracasso and Bryce Riccitelli had the goals.
* Louie Alfidi and the Bethel-Brookfield-Danbury co-op blanked Newtown-New Fairfield, 2-0. Kyle Boller and Dmitry Yates scored for the IceCats.
* Kilian Ranger scored both goals for Newington, and Andrew Fogarty did the rest in net as the Indians shut out Conard, 2-0.
* Andrew Sacco and North Haven blanked East Haven, 3-0.
* Freshman Luke Arsenault scored twice in Enfield co-op’s 5-2 win over E.O. Smith/Tolland. Ethan Ambrosio, Dan Brennan and Chase Stebbins had the other goals for the Eagles.
* Kyle Kosh scored twice, Joey Honcz added the other and Milford tipped Masuk, 3-1.