It was a busy weekend of high school hockey for Connecticut teams, many of which traveled out of state for tournaments and events in Maine, Rhode Island, Massachusetts and New Hampshire. And even more action between teams at home in the Nutmeg State.
* Joey Zuccarini scored midway through the second period and Connor Smith made 29 saves as Notre Dame-West Haven blanked Valor Christian of Colorado, 1-0, to finish unbeaten and take home the championship of the Catholic Memorial Christmas Tournament. The Green Knights rode John-Michael Childs’ shootout goal to beat host CM, 4-3 on Saturday. Childs also scored in regulation along with Ryan Ahern and John D’Errico in the back-and-forth game. The Knights started the tournament by beating Bishop Feehan (MA), 5-3. D’Errico scored twice, with Childs, Bobby Allan and Chris Hughes adding the others. Smith made 20 saves.
* Fairfield Prep settled for fourth place in the annual Mount St. Charles Holiday Faceoff. After beating Bishop Hendricken in the opener (5-2), the Jesuits lost in overtime to St. Joseph Collegiate of New York (2-1), then dropped a 6-4 decision to Franklin (MA). Jack Esse was named to the all-tournament team after posting a hat trick against Hendricken. Tiernan Curley scored against St. Joseph, but the Jesuits gave up the tying goal in the final seconds.
* Trumbull finished as runner-up in the Heuchling & Swift Memorial Classic at the University of New Hampshire, falling to Martha’s Vineyard (MA) in the title game, 2-1. Collin Mallozzi scored the lone goal. The Eagles reached the final with a 3-0 win against Biddeford (Maine) as Owen Finnegan scored twice and Peter Antoniou added one. Alex Tsymbalyuk got the shutout with 26 saves. Trumbull also beat Portsmouth/Newmarket (N.H.), 4-2, with goals from Finnegan, Collin Mallozzi, John Guerrera and Manny Bellios.
* Hamden also finished as runner-up in the Crusader Classic at the University of Rhode Island, losing in overtime to Calvert Hall (MD), 4-3. Jack Shane, Bryce Riccitelli and Robert Celentano had the goals for the Green Dragons. Shane earlier added a hat trick in a 10-4 victory against North Kingstown (R.I.), with Kellen Sargolini also scoring twice.
* Darien prevailed in the Winter Classic with a 5-3 victory against Greenwich outdoors at the Greenwich Skating Club. Jamison Moore, Danny Lowe, Alek Garabet, Matthew Stein and Patrick Thurlow had the goals for the Blue Wave. Thatcher Danielson scored twice and Wesley Zolin had the other for the Cardinals.
* Notre Dame-Fairfield took its first two games in the St. Dominic’s Christmas Classic in Maine before falling to Smithfield (R.I.), 8-2, in the final. Brian Essing had the go-ahead goal in a 3-1 victory against host St. Dominic’s.
* A rematch of last March’s Division 3 state championship settled nothing this time as Sheehan and Lyman Hall/Haddam-Killingworth/Coginchaug skated to a 5-5 tie. Matt Pettit scored twice for LHKC, while Devin Napoli had the tying goal late for the Titans.
* Sean Dunfee had two goals and an assist, and Carly Bokina made 29 saves as Watertown-Pomperaug handed Cheshire its first loss of the season, 3-2. Everett Greenwood had the other goal for the Indians. Scott Heseltine and Aidan Gaudet had the Cheshire goals.
* Bryan Roy’s two goals and assist sparked E.O. Smith/Tolland to a 4-1 victory against Northeastern. Brady McNulty and Aidan Bayne also scored, and Harry Cook made 24 saves for the Bucks. Kiyan Pourmaleki scored and Derek Leshak made 26 stops for the Shamrocks.
* Joey DeAngelis netted a hat trick and unbeaten Daniel Hand warded off Eastern Connecticut, 6-3. Ethan Massey also scored twice and Kevin Sandor the other for Hand. Will Cannella scored twice and Ryan Lovetere once for the Eagles, who weren’t able to erase a 5-0 deficit.
* Connor Erickson, Jack Manware and Spencer Engstrom each scored to help Branford edge Fairfield Warde/Ludlowe, 3-2. Mathew Jankovsky and James Pisciotta had the goals for Warde/Ludlowe.
* Trinity Catholic gave coach Pete Pinto his first victory, edging Newtown, 3-1. Andrew Ellis, Martin Salantay and Jack Kinihan scored the goals.
* Jarad Maloney made 20 saves and Westhill-Stamford blanked East Haven, 2-0. Hunter Gilchrist and Eddie Zelikman had the goals.
* Despite 57 saves from Ryan Groshans, Enfield/East Granby/Suffield fell to WMRP, 2-0. Connor Rancourt and Trevor Piecewicz were able to dent Groshans with goals for the Eagles.
* Boden Gammill had a goal and two assists and New Canaan doubled up Immaculate, 4-2. Carter Ellis and Griffin Deane had a goal and assist each for the Rams, with Nick Megdanis also scoring.
* Jacob Schneider netted the shutout and Ridgefield got back to .500 by beating Wilton, 5-0. Luke Welsh, Michael Bianco, Cornelius van Wees, Will Stewart and Eric Pereira all lit the lamp. Wilton then bounced back with an 8-4 victory against JBWA.
* East Catholic swept to a pair of wins in the Yankee Ford Holiday Classic in Maine. The Eagles beat Brunswick, 6-2, on goals from Rowan Masse, Ryan Heslin, Cole Usseglio, Nathan Segar and Kevin Hartnett. Masse and Hartnett also scored in a 3-2 victory against Gorham.
* Jackson Bulger notched the shutout for Simsbury in a 3-0 victory against Northwest Catholic. Ryan McCormick, Scott Simeon and Cole Chapman scored for the Trojans.
* Andrew Fogarty and Newington shut down Milford, 2-0.
* Logan Maciel’s two goals were the difference in New Milford’s 4-2 victory against Newtown. Cam Schopfer and Matt Marano had the other goals for the Green Wave. Phil Makris scored and also set up Adrian Wadwa’s tally for Newtown.
* Mason Sullivan and Aaron Racino scored twice each in North Haven’s 8-2 victory against Conard.
* Ben Carfora and Kevin Moriarty had a pair of goals apiece and West Haven pulled away from St. Joseph, 7-4.
* Alex Knisley’s hat trick helped Tri-Town double up Housatonic/Northwest/Wamogo/Torrington, 8-4.
* Goals from Ryan Corrigan, Tyler Gadzik, Tyler Mackowski, Aidan Grabowski and Brandon Severns sparked SGWL’s 5-3 victory against Woodstock Academy. Jake Starr, Guerin Favreau and Austin LeDonne had goals in the loss for the Centaurs.