In a matchup of 2019 Connecticut state champions, give it to the “new kids on the block.”
* T.J. Arduini, Zach Hines, Michael O’Toole and Matt Pettit each scored in the second period and Lyman Hall/Haddam-Killingworth/Coginchaug rallied from a two-goal deficit to hand defending Division 2 state champion Branford its first loss of the season, 4-2. Matt Smith earned the win in goal for the Trojans, who won the Division 3 state title last March before moving up to Div. 2 this season. Danny Farricielli and Zach Jones scored for the Hornets.
* WMRP had no such problem, staying unbeaten behind Aaron Cholewa’s four goals with a solid 9-3 victory against Glastonbury. Will McCarter also got his first varsity goal for the Eagles, while Tanner Healy, Chase Millen, Evan Partridge and Owen Davidson also lit the lamp. Ryan Ginnett had a pair of goals for the Tomahawks. … In a 6-1 victory against E.O. Smith/Tolland, Cholewa scored twice with Healy, Millen, Colby Quinn and Dylan Reynolds rounding out the scoring. … The Eagles also blanked Cheshire, 2-0, as Trevor Piecewicz and Jack Healy scored while Patrick Creel posted the shutout. Nick Maringola was huge in the loss with 49 saves.
Earlier in the week, Cheshire handed Sheehan its first setback of the 2019-20 campaign, 5-4. Nick Maringola was a wall again, making 48 saves. Thor Novicelli scored twice, including the game-winner for the Rams.
* In a battle of Division 1 unbeatens, Notre Dame-West Haven scored an impressive 5-1 victory against Hamden. After falling in an early hole on a goal from Hamden’s Jack Shane, the Green Knights took over in the second on goals from Zachary Schroeder, Joe D’Agostino, John D’Errico and Ryan Ahern. Bobby Allan had the other goal in the win. … ND-WH then slipped past Simsbury, 3-2, on John D’Errico’s tiebreaking goal.
* Resurgent Ridgefield also beat Hamden, 4-1, as the Tigers got strong goaltending from Matt Silliman with goals from Michael Conciatore, Eric Pereira, Will Stewart and Kevin McNicholas. Bryce Riccitelli scored for Hamden.
* Darien also rode the shutout goaltending of Chris Schofield (18 saves) to a decisive 3-0 victory against Xavier. James Conway, Matt Fiorita and Daniel Lowe had the goals for the Blue Wave. Ryan Soloman had 25 stops for Xavier.
* Farmington Valley had a huge week with three wins, pushing its streak to four. The Generals topped East Haven, 8-2, as Jackson Holl had a hat trick and two assists, while Mackie Stambaugh and Scott Groleau added a goal and assist each. … Next was a 7-3 victory against North Haven, sparked again by Holl (two goals, two assists), Groleau (two goals, assist) and Matthew Arena (goal, two assists). … The Generals wrapped the week with a 7-1 victory against East Catholic, led by Arena’s four goals and assist.
* Noah Behrens-Gould of Hall-Southington barely prevailed in a goaltending battle with Ryan Groshans of Enfield/East Granby/Suffield, as Christian Mohr’s goal in overtime gave the Warrior-Knights a 1-0 victory. Behrens-Gould finished with 21 saves for the win, while Groshans stopped 25 shots. … Hall-Southington followed up by beating Northeastern, 7-1. Cam Perez, Duncan Hollander and Mason Woods each had a goal and assist as H-S had seven different scorers. Derek Leshak made 43 saves for the Shamrocks in the loss.
* Sam Augustine’s overtime goal gave New Canaan a 3-2 victory against Notre Dame-Fairfield. Jack Johnson and Boden Gammill added the other goals for the Rams.
* Tatum Fitzmaurice and Joey DeAngelis scored twice each, Josh Ruotolo added the other and Daniel Hand beat E.O. Smith/Tolland, 5-1, to stay unbeaten.
* Guerin Favreau had the hot stick with five goals in Woodstock Academy’s 7-1 victory against Northeastern. Jake Starr and Austin Ladonne also scored for the Centaurs, who got three assists from Doug Newton and 21 saves from Josh Lavitt. Noah Flemming scored and Nick Miranda made 27 saves for the Shamrocks.
* Trumbull’s Jack McLean also had a big game, as his four goals were the difference in a 6-2 victory against St. Joseph. … McLean and Collin Mallozzi had two goals each in an 8-3 victory against Gulford. Owen Finnegan (three assists), Nick Letizia, Donny Ryan and Luca Minopoli also scored.
* Westhill-Stamford rode two goals each from Gavin Dolan and Tucker Healy to beat Lyman Hall/Haddam-Killingworth/Coginchaug, 5-2. … W-S also got a hat trick from Eddie Zelikman to roll past Watertown-Pomperaug, 10-2.
* Finn Cullen netted a hat trick and Norwalk-McMahon rolled over Shepaug-Litchfield-Thomaston-Nonnewaug, 9-3.
* Jarrett Rivera also had a hat trick to buoy New Milford in its 6-1 victory against Trinity Catholic.
* Graham Day made 26 saves to backbone Staples to its first victory, 6-0 against Wilton. Jake Glickman had a goal and two assists for the Wreckers, with Owen Sherman, Ben Epes, Alex Goodman, Jason Wolgast and Will Richards adding the other tallies.
* Steve Turchetta scored twice, Ryan Lovetere had a goal and two assists and Eastern Connecticut handled Fairfield Warde/Ludlowe, 5-2. Ashton Baltes and Kyle Marino chipped in a goal apiece for the Eagles, who got 34 saves from Wes Wiliamson. Brendan Carney had a goal and assist, and Rhys Davies a goal for FWL.
* Sam Hedlund had both goals to pace Newington’s 2-1 edging of Housatonic-NW-Wamogo-Torrington.
* Wesley Zolin had a hat trick and Ivan Kovalev scored in overtime to lift Greenwich past Immaculate, 5-4.
* Matt Gilebbi scored twice, Connor Chirico netted his first varsity goal and Milford held off Newtown, 5-4. Rich Carino and Brett Pisani also scored for Milford.
* Tyler Gadzik had a hat trick, Cam Begley posted the shutout and SGWL thumped JBWA, 10-0.
* Glastonbury outslugged Conard, 10-6, with two goals each from Ryan Ginnett and Keane Smith.
* Eight different players scored for Masuk, led by Rocco Veneruso’s goal and two assists in an 8-0 whitewashing of Byram Hills (NY). Evan Laguardia posted the shutout.