* Sam Erickson and Darien made a big statement in Connecticut boys hockey Saturday. Erickson scored three goals and the Blue Wave handed Notre Dame-West Haven its first loss of the season, 5-2. Matt Fiorita and Jamison Moore added the other goals for Darien and Chris Schofield made 19 saves. Ryan Ahern scored both goals and Connor Smith made 28 stops for the Green Knights.
* Jack Dacey capped a natural hat trick with his goal 2:10 into overtime and Guilford stormed past St. Joseph, 4-3. Dacey also assisted Will Petrick’s goal for the Indians. Wyatt Chrisman had a goal and two assists, and Timmy Finkenzeller and Kyle Marcinko a goal each for the Cadets. Guilford’s Gavyn Litvyn (22 saves) and St. Joseph’s Tyler Stiewing (23) were in net.
* Cam Begley’s 36 stops backboned Suffield-Granby-Windsor Locks in its 1-0 victory against Eastern Connecticut. Remington Ferrari broke the scoreless tie for the Wildcats midway through the third period. Wes Williamson made 21 stops in the loss for the Eagles.
* Ryan Groshans also posted a shutout against Eastern Connecticut, making 17 saves in Enfield/East Granby/Stafford’s 7-0 victory. Tyler Provencher, Logan Santy and Logan Humiston had a goal and assist each as the Eagles had seven different scorers. Clayton Cowee, Kyle Murphy, Ryan Holt and Josh Tyler had the other goals. For Eastern Conn., Derek Leshak made 32 saves.
* Enfield also scored a big 4-3 overtime victory against Housatonic-Northwest-Wamogo-Torrington on Andrew Davies’ tally in the extra period. Davies also had an assist for the Eagles, Kyle Cox added a goal and assist, while Ryan Holt and Logan Santy had the other goals.
* Jared Yakimoff and Branford posted their second shutout of the week, 5-0 against Amity. Dan Farricelli and Blake Kustra had a pair of goals each for the Hornets, with Jack Manware adding a goal and assist.
* Newtown picked up its first victory of the season, edging past Northeastern, 5-3. Jack O’Connell’s two goals led the Nighthawks, who also got a goal and two assists from James Celentano. Jack Staton added a goal and assist, Adam Kliczawski his first varsity goal, and Phil Makris three assists. Markus Paltauf made 21 saves. For the Shamrocks, Kiyan Pourmaleki scored twice and Joe Chatterton once, and Zach Holm made 23 stops.
* Matt Borowitz scored in overtime to lift Xavier past Smithfield (R.I.), 5-4. Aden Hotchkiss scored twice for the Falcons, who built a 4-0 lead before the Rhode Island team stormed back. Ryan Kraus and Jake Lion also scored for Xavier, Hotchkiss and Ryan Drust added two assists each, and Justin Child made 27 saves.
* Ivan Kovalev’s two goals gave Greenwich a convincing 7-0 victory against Hamden. Charlie Zolin posted the shutout for the Cardinals.
* Ethan Massey exploded with five goals in Daniel Hand’s 11-1 rout of North Branford.
* Staples took down Joel Barlow/Weston/Abbott Tech, 5-3, behind Victor Sarrazin’s hat trick. Zach Schwartz added a goal and assist for the Wreckers, who also got a goal from Ben Epes. Graham Day made 35 saves.
* Nick Maringola made 33 saves, and Michael Caron and Niklas Vasilijevs each scored in Cheshire’s 2-1 victory against East Catholic. Cole Usseglio scored and Ethan Utermarck made 30 stops in the loss for the Eagles.
* Jake Starr scored 45 seconds into overtime and Woodstock Academy stunned Suffield-Granby-Windsor Locks, 3-2. Guerin Favreau had the other two goals to help rally the Centaurs.
* Nick Piselli made 41 saves for Notre Dame-Fairfield in its 6-1 victory against St. Dominic’s (Maine) in the consolation game of the Lancer Beanpot. Mike Ceneri scored twice while Jeremy Goulden, Dan Finizio, Brian Essing and Tyler Bassett added one each for the Lancers, who fell to Prout (R.I.) in the opening round. Bassett scored both goals in that loss.
* Logan Hamilton made 47 saves as East Haven stunned West Haven, 2-1.
* Andrew Ellis had a goal and two assists and Trinity Catholic rallied past Milford, 4-3. Jack Kinahan and Emmett Donoghue had a goal and assist each for the Crusaders, with Jack Smith also scoring. Joey Honcz (first goal), Kyle Kosh and Matt Gilebbi countered for the Indians.
* Matt Smith posted his first career shutout to lead Lyman Hall/Haddam-Killingworth/Coginchaug in its 3-0 victory against Watertown-Pomperaug.
* Sam Hedlund scored both goals to lead Newington past E.O. Smith/Tolland, 2-1. Bryan Roy had the goal for the Bucks.
* Carter Ellis’ pair of goals sparked New Canaan to a 5-1 victory against Northwest Catholic. Owen Zomb, Griffin Dean and Michael Rayher added goals for the Rams.
* Joseph Robinson scored twice in Immaculate’s 3-3 tie with Westhill-Stamford. Matthew Butera had the other goal for the Mustangs.
* Simsbury picked up a pair of victories in one day, finishing off a suspended game against South Windsor from December with a 3-2 victory, then prevailing in the regularly scheduled contest, 6-2. Scott Simeon had two goals and an assist in the late win for the Trojans, helped by goals from Jack Fiengo, Cole Chapman, Aidan Dwyer and Alex Pearlman. Mason Haley and Quinn Cotton had the goals for the Bobcats.
* Jackson Holl posted two goals and two assists for red-hot Farmington Valley in its 6-2 victory against Glastonbury. Scott Groleau and Tyler Stoneman added a goal and two assists each.
* Aaron Racino’s overtime goal lifted North Haven past Trumbull, 2-1. Will Fiore had the other goal for the Indians. … Jake Hines scored twice and Eli Brubacher once to give North Haven a 3-1 victory against East Haven.
* Sean Donahue scored twice in New Milford’s 4-4 tie with Norwalk-McMahon. Ian Donahue and Ryan Parker added goals for the Green Wave, and Logan Lucas made 28 saves.