The Connecticut Interscholastic Athletic Conference (CIAC) announced Tuesday morning that due to continuing concerns regarding the spread of the Coronavirus, all remaining winter tournament games have been cancelled.
The Division 2 tournament did actually play first round games Monday night. Here are some highlights from those games. It is unfortunate that these are the only post-season games that will be played in Division 2 this year.
* Aidan Weir had a pair of goals and No. 11 Lyman Hall/Haddam-Killingworth/Coginchaug upset sixth-seeded Woodstock Academy, 5-0, in a Division 2 first-round game. Matt Pettit scored for his 150th career point for the Trojans, who also got goals from T.J. Arduini and Jack Roberts. Matt Smith earned his first career shutout.
* Farmington Valley poured 65 shots on East Haven as the third-seeded Generals upended the No. 14 Yellowjackets, 6-2. Matthew Arena had a hat trick and two assists, and Jackson Holl two goals and two assists to spark the Generals. T.J. Erickson added the other goal. Logan Hamilton made 59 saves for East Haven, which got its goals from Nicholas Ruggiero and Dave Amatruda.
* Eric Dillner’s 34 saves backboned No. 2 Daniel Hand’s 7-0 shutout of No. 15 Guilford. Tatum Fitzmaurice had two goals and two assists, and Ethan Massey scored twice for the Tigers, who also got goals from Joey DeAngelis (three assists), Marcus Padula and Kevin Rich. Gavyn Litvyn made 19 saves for Guilford.
* Tommy Guidone, Billy Fiore and Donald Funaro scored to support the shutout goaltending of Andrew Sacco (20 saves), and No. 7 North Haven took down No. 10 Trumbull, 3-0. Alex Tsymbalyuk made 16 saves for the Indians.
* Matt Morgan and Danny Farricelli scored twice each and top-seeded Branford survived a brief scare from No. 16 South Windsor, rallying for a 5-2 victory. The Hornets trailed 2-0 after one period before Farricelli tipped in Max Manware’s shot to get the comeback started, then Morgan converted a feed from Zach Jones. Not long after, it was Jones’ turn to light the lamp and give Branford the lead for good. Jones set up Morgan again for a 4-2 lead, and Farricelli got his second to close the scoring. Jones, Jack Manware, Blake Kustra and Billy Linder all had two assists for Branford, and Jared Yakimoff made 21 saves. Will Bonaselli and Mason Haley had the goals for the Bobcats, with Tim Fisher stopping 42 shots.
* Adam Poetto scored Glastonbury’s second shorthanded goal of the game, and that was the difference for the No. 8 Trojans to slip past No. 9 East Catholic, 3-2. Poetto also assisted Ryan Ginnett’s goal, while Pat McKiernan had the other shortie for Glastonbury. Roman Masse and Cole Usseglio scored for East Catholic.
* No. 4 WMRP got goals from five different players to beat No. 13 Eastern Connecticut, 5-0. Trevor Schad earned the shutout for the Eagles, who got goals from Chase Millen, Curtis Clemens, Trevor Piecewicz, Brody Davidson and Evan Partridge. Wes Williamson made 49 saves for Eastern Connecticut.
* Eric Osterhaus made 41 saves and James Leydon scored the tiebreaking goal for No. 5 Westhill-Stamford in its 3-1 victory against No. 12 Cheshire. Gavin Dolan and Jason Marchese (empty net) had the other goals for the Black Knights. Niklas Vasilijevs scored and Nick Maringola made 37 saves for the Rams.