– Fairfield Prep steadily built a sizeable lead and took rival Notre Dame-West Haven 7-2. Jack Quinn’s two power-play goals put the Jesuits ahead 3-1 after Justin Blanchette and Notre Dame’s Joe Ansaldo traded first-period goals. This was the Jesuits’ return to the ice after finishing second at the Mount St. Charles Holiday Faceoff. Fairfield Prep’s Jack Taubl made 44 saves in the championship game of that tournament, a 4-0 win for the hosts.-
– Boston College High (MA) took the New Year’s Hockey Invitational at Bridgeport’s Webster Bank Arena, beating host Notre Dame-Fairfield 5-4 in the final. Ryan Shea scored two goals for the Eagles. Four different players scored for Notre Dame, and Billy Scovill made 19 saves.
– In the opener, the Lancers beat Bergen Catholic (N.J.) 6-3, coming from behind after giving up two in the first. Conor McCutcheon and Brian Gallagher each had two goals and an assist for Notre Dame. Bergen Catholic beat Seton Hall Prep 7-2 in the consolation.
– Xavier’s Jared Guidobono’s 16 saves shut out Greenwich, dealing the Cardinals their first loss. Adam Aresco’s and Dave Piekut’s goals gave the Falcons a 2-0 win. Bryan Archino made 23 saves for the Cardinals.
– Alec Andreucci and Greg Caturano scored in the third period for Notre Dame-West Haven in a 3-2 win over Simsbury. Zack Levin got one back for Simsbury after the Green Knights took a 3-1 lead.
– Simsbury came back to beat Conard 5-2. Zack Levin’s two goals gave the Trojans a 2-1 lead, and Riley Chapman, Patrick Werle and Hunter Chapman (empty net) added one.
– North Branford tied it three times, but Fairfield took a fourth lead in overtime, winning 4-3 and dealing the Thunderbirds their first loss. Jake Fuss’ goal won it. Brian McKee had a hat trick for North Branford in defeat.
– Jacob Comeau’s goal with 5:20 left in the game gave Milford a 2-1 win over Amity, maybe a bit of revenge for a CIAC-semifinal loss in March. Sean Rowland made 26 saves for the Indians, who had struck first on David McLenithan’s first-period goal. Jeremy Cable scored early in the second period for Amity, and Tyler Johnston made 21 saves.
– Brady Jensen’s four points, including a hat trick, led Trumbull to a come-from-behind win over East Haven. Francis Fromageot made 33 saves for the Eagles, and Jake Crowe had a goal and an assist.
– Hand tied New Milford 3-3 as Jeff Rider, Luke Brown and Matt Rice all recorded a goal and an assist. Payton Meyer had two goals for New Milford, and Alex Fortuna made 20 saves.
– Josh Barnes had two assists in the first period, then scored and had another assist in E.O. Smith/Tolland’s four-goal third period in a 7-0 win over Shepaug/Litchfield/Nonnewaug. Matt Schoen made 18 saves to earn the shutout; Will Slohm stopped 40 shots for Shepaug/Litchfield/Nonnewaug.
– Housatonic/Northwestern/Wamogo beat the Eastern CT Eagles 5-1 behind James Huften’s three points, including two goals. Finn Bambery, Evan Wilkinson and Connor Toffey also scored. Tyler Luke made 46 saves for the Eagles, who got a goal from Will Vorra.
– Scott McLean’s second goal, in overtime — he’s got a knack for that, you may remember from last year’s CIAC final — gave Newtown a 5-4 win over the Eagles. McLean also had two assists. Larry Nolan had a goal and an assist for the Eagles, who scored three in the third to tie it.