Central Mass.Top 10
Algonquin and Wachusett continue to hold down the top two positions in this first in-season HNIB News Central Mass. Top 10.
The Tomahawks are a perfect 6-0-0 after winning the Metro West Daily News Cup Saturday with a 2-1 win over Hopkinton.
Wachusett (5-1-0) took home the Battle Road Classic with wins over Bedford and Lexington.
This Wednesday, Algonquin and Wachusett will meet at North Star Forum (8pm).
Worcester moves up after knocking Grafton from the ranks of the unbeaten with a 5-2 win in the title game of the Grafton Holiday Tournament.
* Henry Antino’s power-play goal with seven minutes left in the final period lifted Algonquin to a 2-1 decision over Hopkinton. Antino converted a feed from Nolan Kimball for the game-winner. Noah Larsen provided Algonquin a 1-0 lead in the first period.
* Sean Coughlin scored during the opening period and Cam Sullivan struck in the second stanza to lead Westboro to a 2-0 win over Auburn. Will Schiffman secured the shutout with a 23-save performance.
* Shane Baker and Cam Bern each scored one goal and set up another as Grafton bested Western Mass. power Longmeadow, 3-1. Charlie Farrah scored a power-play goal. Cam Powell made 30 saves.
* Wachusett overcame an early 1-0 deficit and scored four straight goals over the final two periods to post a 4-1 triumph over Lexington. Sean Gardner scored two shorthanded goals , while Colin Moran and Grant Gardula struck during power plays for the Mountaineers. Jackson King made 20 saves.
* Connor Viviano notched three assists, while Jacob Mauro and Nathan Handy both had one goal and an assist to power Lunenburg past Fitchburg, 6-1. Connor Viviano dished out three assists. Anthony Lesperance score the lone Fitchburg goal.