A total of 12 quarterfinal games were played Wednesday across three New England Tournaments – The Elite, Large School and Small School.
– Top-seeded Kimball Union and #8 Holderness met for the third time this season and for the third time it would be the Wildcats emerging victorious, 4-2. Down 1-0 in the first period, KUA struck for two goals in 35 seconds, by Alex Keller and Mike Sullo, to grab a 2-1 lead. A second period goal from Jackson Kyrkostas proved to be the game-winning goal. Keller’s second goal, an empty-netter, sealed the win. KUA now faces Salisbury in a semifinal.
– #2 seed Avon Old Farms was very impressive, cruising to a 6-0 win over #7 Cushing with goals from six different players. Brendan Fennell (two assists), Joe Connor, Brennan Ali, Connor Brazil, Jack Kennedy and Matt DiMarsico all scored. Liam Verdon and Nikita Nikora had a pair of assists.
– #3 Belmont Hill held on for 3-2 win over #6 St. Sebastian’s in what was the third meeting between these two Keller Division counterparts. The Hillies jumped to a 2-0 lead on goals by Jack Houser and Jake McManus, and then after the Arrows tied it, got the game-winning tally from James Fisher.
– And #5 Salisbury jumped out to a 2-0 lead after the first period en route to a 3-1 win over host Dexter Southfield. For more details, please click here.
– Top-seeded Brunswick got all it could handle from #8 Berkshire, taking a 4-3 win on a tie-breaking goal by Sean Gibbons with just 18 seconds left in regulation. James Shannon, Lucas St. Louis and Jake Minella had second period goals for the Bruins. They will face Nobles on Saturday in the semifinals.
– Leading just 1-0 entering the third period, Nobles exploded for four goals for a 5-0 win over Northfield Mt. Hermon. The Bulldogs got goals from Will Canavan, Ben MacDonald, Joe Mense, Austin Tasca and Drew Haxton.
– Dante Palumbo netted an overtime goal to give Kent a 3-2 win over Founders League rival Loomis Chaffee. Max Resnick and Jake Kraft each had a goal and assist for the Lions. Rory Andriole and Chris Hibson had goals for the Pelicans.
– Phillips Exeter beat rival Phillips Andover 3-1 with Kurt Gurkan scoring twice and Michael Dinges once. It was the first time in 109 years that Exeter has beaten Andover three times in the same season.
– Andrew Gibbons had two goals to lead top-seeded St. Mark’s to a 4-0 win over Portsmouth Abbey. Jim Lyver and Sebbie Johnson each had a goal for the Lions.
– Will Stewart had the overtime winner in #4 Pomfret’s 4-3 win over Rivers. Aidan D’Urso, Kai Konstantino and Matt Spears all had a goal for the Griffins.
– Frederick Gunn School advanced with a 3-1 win over St. George’s. Governor’s Academy also moved on with a 3-1 victory on the road at Westminster.