The Long Island Gulls are the 2023 U15 Beast League champions after a 3-2 win over the Neponset River Rats in a well-played title game at the New England Sports Village.
Kevin Lysohir’s goal with 2:40 left in regulation time snapped a 2-2 deadlock and brought home the title for the Gulls. Sean Miller assisted on the game-winner.
William Leonard got the scoring started for the Gulls early in the first half, but the River Rats tied it at one on a goal by Ethan Travis.
Mid-way through the second period, Owen DeGraff put the Gulls up 2-1 and Cameron MacPherson followed that up with a goal for the River Rats to tie the game at two with time winding down.
Here is Kevin Lysohir’s game-winning goal:
* In a quarterfinal match-up the East Coast Militia beat the New Hampshire Mountain Kings 4-1. Nathan Dono got the scoring started for the Militia on a power play goal and the Mountain Kings came right back to tie it on a goal by Nazar Kalashink. Nolan Lewis put the Militia ahead 2-1 after one half and Thomas Wilkinson scored two second half goals en route to the win.
* The 15U Neponset River Rats beat Boston Hockey Academy 4-1 in a quarterfinal contest on Saturday at Rodman Arena. It was 2-1 at the start of the second half when goals by Michael Federico and Alexandre Theodore extended the River Rats lead to 4-1 advancing them to the semi-finals. Tim Donahue and Stevie Rousell had earlier goals for Neponset. Nikita Shcherbakov scored for BHA.
* In another quarterfinal match-up from the top division, the New Jersey Rockets blanked the Yale Jr. Bulldogs National 5-0. Benjamin Marcolini and Deimantas Sulinskas both had two goals each for the Rockets.
* The Long Island Gulls advanced to the semifinals with a big 9-1 win over the New Jersey Titans. Kevin Lyoshir, Logan Ferrara and William Leonard all had two goals apiece for the Gulls.
The Springfield Thunderbirds took home the U15 Gold Championship with a 4-2 win over Atlantic Coast Academy.
The Thunderbirds got off to a quick start in the first half with goals from Wolfgang Zinger and Noah Indes to take a 2-0 lead. They extended their lead to 3-0 with an early second half goal by Liam Dolan.
Atlantic Coast Academy didn’t go quietly as they got two goals back in 20 seconds from Jackson Morgan and Reese Jackson to make it 3-2. Dolan got his second of the game later in the half on a short-handed goal to seal the win for the Thunderbirds.
* In a semi-final matchup in the Gold Division, Atlantic Coast Academy advanced to the championship with a 4-1 win over the Yale Jr. Bulldogs Showcase. It was 2-1 Atlantic Coast Academy after one half when they put the finishing touches on the win with two second half goals by Austin McFadyen and Aydan Dunham. Henry Ball and Darragh Curran had the first half goals for ACA. Yale’s goal came from Carson Bennett.
* The Springfield Thunderbirds took down the Red Bank Generals 6-2 Saturday morning at New England Sports Village in a Gold semifinal. The Thunderbirds took a 2-0 lead into the second half where they exploded for four more goals from Matthew Regan, Wolfgang Zinger, Will Jodoin and Liam Dolan to take a commanding 6-0 lead. The Generals got two back late from Ryan Burtnick and Blake Wotanowsky, but that was all as the Thunderbirds advanced on to the championship.