The Long Islands Gulls are the 2023 Beast League U13 Champions after a 6-1 win over the East Coast Militia in Sunday’s title game.
The Militia actually took a 1-0 lead early on, scoring just nine seconds into the game on a goal by Bruce Ghostlaw, but it was all Gulls from there.
The Gulls tied it up at 1-1 at the 4:36 juncture on the first of Matthew Ferrante’s two goals, assisted by Christian Lopiano.
Later in the first half, a power play strike for Jake Conroy turned out to be the game-winning tally. Maveric Thisdelle had the assist.
It stayed a 2-1 game until the midway point of the second half, when the Gulls scored twice in a 1:02 span. Both of the goals came off the stick of Thisdelle, and both were assisted by James Fox.
Conroy and Ferrante each added their second goals of day to account for the 6-1 final score.
Here is Jake Conroy’s game-winning goal:
U13 ROUND ROBIN PLAYOFF ACTION
* In a tight battle, the East Coast Militia held on for 4-3 win over the Yale Jr. Bulldogs. With the score 1-0 in favor of EC Militia heading into the second half, the Bulldogs tied it early in the third. Ronan Foley put EC Militia on top with a power play goal and they ran from there.
* The Long Island Gulls won their second matchup of the weekend beating the New Hampshire Mountain Kings 4-2. With the score 2-1 in favor of the Gulls heading into the second, Jake Conroy and James Fox extended the lead with two early goals.
* Seacoast Performance Academy blanked the CT Jr. Rangers 2-0. Michael Shook and Nicholas Cabana both scored while Camden Leighton got the victory in goal.
* The Long Island Gulls won their third of the weekend this time beating the Yale Jr. Bulldogs 5-2. Christian LoPiano led the way with two goals while Michael Kandrach, Miles Siegel and Nicholas DiMarco also scored.
* East Coast Militia won another one taking down the CT Jr. Rangers 7-2. It was a full offensive effort from the Militia who got two goals from Bruce Ghostlaw to lead the way.
* For the second game in a row, the Seacoast Performance Academy blanked an opponent 2-0 and this time it was the NH Mountain Kings. Michael Shook and Liam O’Neill each scored and Camden Leighton was outstanding in net once again earning another shutout.
* The Yale Jr. Bulldogs took down Seacoast Performance Academy 4-1 in their first game of the weekend. The Bulldogs got goals from Conlan Albert, Kellan Fenstad, Aidan Loomis and Owen Hannah.
* In other 13U action, the East Coast Militia beat the New Hampshire Mountain Kings 8-2. Finn Guenther and John Brown led the way with two goals apiece.
* The Long Island Gulls blanked the Connecticut Jr. Rangers 6-0 in their first tilt of the playoffs. Matthew Ferrante led the offense with two goals and Hugh Rooney earned the shutout in net.