A look at some highlights from Massachusetts Girls HS action from this past weekend:
* D1 #1 Austin Prep took the first of at least two meetings this year with #2 St. Mary’s, taking early control of the Catholic Central League with a 2-0 win Saturday night. Eighth-grader Samantha Taber scored both goals for the Cougars, the first at 8:57 of the second period, assisted by Maeve Crehan and Ella Saracco, and the second with 1:23 left in regulation, assisted by Frankie Frelick and Maeve Carey. The two teams meet again on February 6th at Connery Rink. Lauren Vaccaro was solid in the St. Mary’s net.
* D2 #7 Pembroke ran its record to 8-0-2 with a 4-2 win over Scituate. Freshman Erin Doran notched two goals, while Carly Birolini and Shannon Murphy had a goal apiece.
* D1 #8 Franklin officially qualified for the MIAA Tournament with a pair of wins over the weekend. The Panthers beat Medway/Ashland, 6-3, getting three goals from Cassi Ronan and one each from Regan Paterson, Gianna Cameron and Amanda Lewandowski. On Sunday, Franklin improved to 10-0-0 with a 4-2 win over Dedham getting a pair of goals from Libby Carter.
* Sophia Temple scored twice, and Olivia Temple and Maggie Young once each in Boston Latin’s 4-1 win over Westford Academy.
* Barnstable got goals from Rachel Aalto, Sarah Schoote and Laura Cogswell in a 3-1 SEMGHL win over BMW/ORR.
* McKenzie Heath scored three goals, and hit the 100 career point mark, in D2 #4 Archbishop Williams 6-2 win over Medfield. Olivia Pacheco had two goals and Abby Dacosta one for the Bishops.
* Katie Cronin scored two goals, the second coming with 44 seconds left, to rally Winchester to a 4-4 standoff with Arlington. Nikki Micciche chipped in with a goal and assist for the Sachems.
* Hingham knocked off Plymouth, 5-1, getting goals from five different players – Gianna Merian, Lizzie Jacobson, Maddie Decelles, Coco Hernberg and Kathryn Karo.
* D1 #5 Methuen/Tewksbury got past Matignon 4-1. Julia Masotta (2), Ryan Quinn and Carolyn Curley had the Red Rangers goals.
* Lincoln-Sudbury held off Acton-Boxboro, 3-1. Freshman Sophie Ensley had a pair of goals, giving her 19 on the season, and Fiona Tobin had one.
* Kayla McGaffigan had two goals, sister Ava McGaffigan and Phoebe Holmes each had one in Dennis-Yarmouth’s 4-2 win over Sandwich.
* Norwood blanked St. Peter Marian with goals from Allie McDonough, Maggie Curran and Maeve Galvin.
* Gianna Beauclair scored both of Stoneham’s goals in the Spartans 2-1 win over Wilmington.
* D2 #2 Westwood and D2 #5 Canton skated to a 1-1 draw in their second meeting of the season. Leah Piscitelli scored for the Wolverines, while Lizzie Tassinari countered for the Bulldogs.
* Braintree knocked Needham from the unbeaten ranks, getting three goals from Abby Holland in a 6-3 win.
* Delaney Couture had a hat trick and Grace Felicio added two goals as Shrewsbury rolled past Algonquin/Hudson, 7-1. Dolly Herlihy and Grace Louder also scored for the Colonials.
* Catherine Driscoll and Ana Driscoll both had a pair of goals as Brookline downed Leominster, 5-1, in a non-league affair. Casey Ferrigno also had a goal for the Warriors. Sophie Schuster had the Leominster goal.
* Woburn’s Sophia Gregory and Kelsey Ficociello had the Tanners goals in their 2-2 tie with Lexington.